Vinyls ripping via USB Sound card issue
Jul 17, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zumax

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on  getting the ION TTUSB10 turntable with pre-amp and USB-out for records Vinyls to MP3. Now my issue, excuse my noob-ness, is, does the sound still get affected/go through the sound card before I record it?
I.E. I'll be recording in Audacity, and the sound input is straight though USB - does my soundcard make a difference with this particular set up?
I've tried googling, but its better to be safe than sorry

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I'm planning on  getting the ION TTUSB10 turntable with pre-amp and USB-out for records Vinyls to MP3. Now my issue, excuse my noob-ness, is, does the sound still get affected/go through the sound card before I record it?
I.E. I'll be recording in Audacity, and the sound input is straight though USB - does my soundcard make a difference with this particular set up?
I've tried googling, but its better to be safe than sorry

It does not.

jiiteepee

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
AWESOME! So it treats it as a separate sound card essentially?

Not as a soundcard but as a data source (just as like you would add USB microhone). As USB data format is digital, there needs to be a DAC inside the TT (DAC = digital to analog converter. In most cases the DAC inside TT is not very good compared to ones found in real audio interfaces but if you don't have good one available (just onboard sound) then it's good enough for vinyl transfers. When transferring through USB, to get the best result, just record as WAV and use highest possible samplerate/bit-depth found in TT (you can then convert the sr/bit-depth with software as like Voxengo r8brain).

jiiteepee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back