vinyl
Jan 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Huxley

1000+ Head-Fier
I just had my first proper listen oddly enough in hd on youtube, i had no idea the sound is so crisp and clean, to me it sounds far superior and natural compared to compact disc and losless does anyone else agree?

What would make a good starter deck, im thinking something from technics.

YouTube - Some More Random Vinyl

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 24
I recently got into vinyl, haven't looked back since. My setup is: Rega P1->CA 540P->LD MKIII->DT990/SR80. If you're looking for new stuff in the ~500 range, it sounds great for the money.

What's your budget?

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 24
Well for a deck currently $300 usd, i will stretch further later on.

Ive heard good things about project genie 2 turntables, that paired with my current denon av amp, later on step up to a valve amp, i love the warm rich sound it produces maybe have a solid state stage to clean the sound a bit if i run sensitive earphones.

I have about 10 or so vinyl albums, granted small but it's ones i love so it would be great to hear them again.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm sure someone else will recommend this, but try to find a good used Technics SL1200, that seems to be the best beginner deck for the cash as far as a I know. Good luck and Enjoy.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Sl1200 pop up used allthefreakingtime. They are the go-to table for aspiring DJs. Most of them come up used because the guy bought two, set them up in his room, pretended to learn how to scratch for 45 minutes, then didn't touch them for years. I'd go used all the way.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 24
Can someone tell me whether or not Vinyl sounds like that youtube video? It sounds awesome.
eek.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sl1200 pop up used allthefreakingtime. They are the go-to table for aspiring DJs. Most of them come up used because the guy bought two, set them up in his room, pretended to learn how to scratch for 45 minutes, then didn't touch them for years. I'd go used all the way.

Is there much difference between the mk2 and mk5 there's a ton of mk2's about at silly prices.

apatN he is running a valve amp underneath which is probably the reason for it's rich full bodied sound and your right it sounds awesome.
biggrin.gif

Luckily valve amps are slowly making a comeback into the main markets here in the uk.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me whether or not Vinyl sounds like that youtube video? It sounds awesome.
eek.gif

It should hopefully sound better than a youtube video.

I've got a Rega P2 with Denon DL110 cart connected to a NAD PP-2 before going in to my C320BEE. I don't listen to vinyl as much as I would like I think, but I still enjoy it and recently found another shop in the area that has a great selection of vinyl new and in great used condition.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 24
No real difference between the Mk.2 and the Mk. 5 for your purposes. If you're a DJ, the Mk. 5 is considered an improvement, but for front-to-play replay of records at a fixed speed, they're virtually identical.

If you decide to upgrade down the line, keep the table. KABUSA can do a lot with them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should hopefully sound better than a youtube video.

You can hear the compression but the sound is very rich. If that is what vinyl sounds like.. Yummy..
smily_headphones1.gif
Would be a b^tch to get into vinyl though. Definitely don't have the space or money.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 24
To the OP: I'm glad you learned how to spell "vinyl" properly overnight.
wink.gif
Yes, I was watching to see if you would change the thread title.
biggrin.gif

There's actually a vintage vinyl shop downtown from where I am, but like some have already realized, vinyl is a big investment, in both time and money. You have to take immaculate care of the equipment, and even then there are so many ways to customize it that you (and your wallet) can get lost in the process.

For now, my compromise is to listen to either MFSL/DCC discs or high quality vinyl rips. I recently acquired some Beatles tube cut masters, and they're heavenly to listen to.
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 24
i had doubts that digitized vinyl rips would sound better than the redbook version, but recently i got a hold of some rips and to my shock they sounded better. the horrible compression in the mastering is much more noticeable after hearing the vinyl rip. there is actually dynamic range in the rips. detail is not brought out like cd but sounds faster and music grooves along better.

everyone should check out that youtube sampler video, excellent sound.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's actually a vintage vinyl shop downtown from where I am, but like some have already realized, vinyl is a big investment, in both time and money

I am in the same situation. My setup is sub-par but vinyl is a big time sink. OP: Even if you get a decent setup I wouldn't expect to play your old man's old records and have them sound amazing. You are going to have to deal with the occasional click and pop to get the benefits of vinyl on a nice recording. I love vinyl simply for going to a vintage vinyl shop and getting some obscure records that you will never find on CD and discovering some new music. If you are in the mood, taking out the vinyl, cleaning it, gazing at the art, and then sitting to listen is an unparalleled experience. If you don't feel like doing that it gets to be a pain in the ass sometimes. I love my vinyl but a lot of times I am not in the mood to go through the motions so I would rather play a CD than play a vinyl without caring for it properly.

I would spend more money or universal equipment, like stuff that could be used for any medium, unless you really are willing to devote the time and effort it takes to have a really nice vinyl collection/setup.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 24
Huxley... can't go wrong with a Technics sl1200s. I've owned 2 since about '96 and have never had a problem. Mechanically, they are very sound and well made... for this reason, many DJs use them because of the stress of scratching, etc. does on the tone-arm and drive.

However, if you are not going to be scratching, you might want to consider a cheaper "belt drive" table, instead of the "direct drive" of the 1200s.

Either way, you can't go wrong with these tables... they will last. I would suggest to try to pick one up used and save some money that would be best spent on a cartridge/needle. This is where you are going to find the biggest difference in sound. Look for one's that work well with the table you want and be prepared to balance them correctly.

If you do buy used, make sure you know if all the balancing equipment is included. These are very small pieces that are often lost by the original owner, but you can also pick up replacements. Without these, the needle will push too hard or too soft on the record, which can destroy the record/needle and cause tracking issues.

If you are going to spend some money on used, check out before you buy... tables that aren't rugged as the 1200 and were used wrongly can cause you significant problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back