Vinyl vs Redbook in 2015
Jul 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #31 of 51
I'll keep buying CDs, thanks.  I have a large vinyl collection and a halfway decent entry-level turntable.  The only thing that brings down CDs is poor mastering.  If they are mastered decent or good, they sound better than vinyl easily.  I have a few DCC, MFSL and Audio Fidelity discs that would argue in favor of this.  When I play them 20 years from now, they will still sound good no matter how many times I play them.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 51
Hi jtaylor991,
The first thing to investigate in order to sort out why vinyl sounds superior to you is the couple cartridge / headphone or cartridge / speakers. The cartridge used to play records can have a strong influence on the sonic result, especially in terms of frequency response : some have a lot of treble, some have a lot of bass, and others not. The Grado Gold, for example, emphasize treble a lot. Stanton Cartridges, on the other hand, have a tendancy to attenuate treble.
It can happen that your cartridge compensates a shortcoming that exist in your speakers or headphones. Too much bass from the cartridge + too little bass from the speakers, and your hifi sounds just fine playing records, and not playing CDs. If this is the case, starting to collect records is the wrong way to go. The right thing to do would be to upgrade the speakers, and buy CDs.

Secondly, you talk about "ambiant air", "room". I think that there is a possibility for some cartridges to artificially enhance the stereo effect. That's what I feel with my Stanton Trackmaster, and not with a Grado Gold, Grado ZC, or Denon DL-110. Technically, it may be a side effect of a given frequency response.

In both cases, the effect should be completely preserved if you make a low resolution digital copy of the vinyl (44100 Hz 16 bits). That's an interesting test that you ought to make. Can you still feel the room and ambient air of your records in a 44/16 copy ?
An interesting fact : in order to make a vinyl record, it is necessary that the signal goes through a delay line before driving the cutting stylus that makes the original groove (the realtime signal is used to setup the groove spacing in advance, then the delayed one is actually cut into the groove). These delay lines are either analog tapes, or digital buffers. Before the 80's, they were only analog tapes. In the 80's and 90's, I guess they were digital buffers. I know that in the 2000's some companies specialized in audiophile records restored the old tape recorders in order to provide 100 % analog vinyls again. But when you listen to a vinyl made after the 80's, chances are high that it is a copy of a digital signal !

If you find that the analog sound is not preserved when you make a 44/16 copy of it, you are in a complicated situation. You might just choose to listen to records, but as I understand it, you are going to invest a lot and want to make the good choice. It would be worth to try ABX testing in this special case (vinyl sound not preserved in a 44/16 copy). If you are lucky, you can preserve the analog feeling on a 24/96 copy. Then you can setup an ABX test between the 44/16 and the 96/24 copies without too much work. You may learn a lot while practicing this kind of listening test, and your perception can even change.
If the analog quality is not preserved even in a 24/96 copy, it will be very difficult to setup an ABX comparison. You can as well skip this part and go for vinyl. Keep in mind, though, that, unless you have an exotic DAC (with a special filter, without filter, with tubes...) the difference with the digital copy is 50 % psychological, 50 % caused by subtle differences in playback level and left / right balance, about, say, 0.5 db in loudness, and that translates in a feeling of space rather than a feeling of a louder sound.

What if you find out that the quality of analog records is preserved if you make a 16/44 copy of them ? That is the case for me, and what you were told in the Audiokarma forum sounds right : the best support just depends on the album.

Pop music from the 80's sound often better on vinyl. The CD's have often too much treble. Depeche Mode is a good example. Let's forget the atrocious remasters that were made in 1998 for their two compilations and for the reissue of their single collections, and let's have a look at their excellent SACD re-issues. They sound very much like the old CDs, except that they have a bit less treble, which makes them sound closer to the original vinyls, even in the CD layer of the SACD discs.
Sometimes the CDs are really bad. I have never been able to listen to the beautiful album "Treasure" of Cocteau Twins on CD. I have both the resmastered and original CDs and they sound awfully thin compared to the vinyl. I lived with a good copy of an unfortunately worn out vinyl that crackles a lot, until I performed an operation that proved to be successful with many albums of these times : I rip the CD, I copy the vinyl. I then get the spectrum analysis of a whole track from both versions, I superpose both spectrums in Photoshop and read the difference at each frequency. then I setup a paragraphic equalizer so as to make the CD sound like the vinyl. The result is usually great : I get the pleasant sound of vinyl, with its depth and natural spectrum, without any of the problems of vinyl : no clicks, no noise, no distortion, no loss of quality at the end of each side.
I think that this works because albums, in the 80's, were deliberately mastered for vinyl: they ought not to have dynamics in high frequencies (vinyl can't manage it), and I think that, though compressed, the treble were maybe a bit pushed up, to compensate for the short frequency response of 33 rpm records, and for the wearing of the groove... This is just a supposition.

I've also heard that in order to cut a microgroove record, the signal had to go through a de-esser filter. That also can explain why vinyl sounds different by itself, and still sounds different once copied back in 44/16 digital. I don't know if there was a treble dynamics compressor in addition to the de-esser in the record factories, to avoid overloading the groove, but that would explain a lot about "analog sound".

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 51
Thanks for the response, Pio2001.

The first thing to investigate in order to sort out why vinyl sounds superior to you is the couple cartridge / headphone or cartridge / speakers. The cartridge used to play records can have a strong influence on the sonic result, especially in terms of frequency response : some have a lot of treble, some have a lot of bass, and others not. The Grado Gold, for example, emphasize treble a lot. Stanton Cartridges, on the other hand, have a tendancy to attenuate treble.

It can happen that your cartridge compensates a shortcoming that exist in your speakers or headphones. Too much bass from the cartridge + too little bass from the speakers, and your hifi sounds just fine playing records, and not playing CDs. If this is the case, starting to collect records is the wrong way to go. The right thing to do would be to upgrade the speakers, and buy CDs.

You know, that's a very interesting point. I am using a budget at best Ortofon Omega cartridge ($40), which did indeed intrigue me at its apparent ability to best my ~$500 PS Audio DLIII DAC. I came to this conclusion about vinyl with my vintage Polk Audio Monitor 10 speakers and vintage receiver (in sig); I do recall that it always seemed like the setup was just made for vinyl. I suppose I should consider that frequency response and/or sound signature could affect the imaging/soundstage/"space".

Now that I'm using my Fidelio X2s, digital sounds a lot better. Coincidence? Your logic seems to say maybe not :)

If you find that the analog sound is not preserved when you make a 44/16 copy of it, you are in a complicated situation. You might just choose to listen to records, but as I understand it, you are going to invest a lot and want to make the good choice. It would be worth to try ABX testing in this special case (vinyl sound not preserved in a 44/16 copy). If you are lucky, you can preserve the analog feeling on a 24/96 copy. Then you can setup an ABX test between the 44/16 and the 96/24 copies without too much work. You may learn a lot while practicing this kind of listening test, and your perception can even change.

If the analog quality is not preserved even in a 24/96 copy, it will be very difficult to setup an ABX comparison. You can as well skip this part and go for vinyl.

It doesn't seem like it'd be a subjective thing. Every spec points to even redbook being technically superior to vinyl, so if the full range and SQ wasn't preserved, I'd be thinking it was a bad transfer or not resolute enough DAC being used. If you mean subjectively well, I don't really see why not. I don't see myself spending several hundred for a good ADC to do this with yet (although I guess I will to transfer all of my current vinyl and the collection I inherited from my father as well, so maybe that will change), but I will compare some redbook lossless with my vinyl copies and see what I get (just a rough comparison scanning for differences, not like a full blind ABX kind of deal, just switch source on receiver and move the song around etc).

Keep in mind, though, that, unless you have an exotic DAC (with a special filter, without filter, with tubes...) the difference with the digital copy is 50 % psychological, 50 % caused by subtle differences in playback level and left / right balance, about, say, 0.5 db in loudness, and that translates in a feeling of space rather than a feeling of a louder sound.

Are you saying that digital itself is 0.5dB louder, or certain DACs, or what? The relative loudness by itself creates a better sense of space? I fail to comprehend what you're saying.

Thanks for the rest of the info too, I appreciate it :)

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #34 of 51
  nick,

I would be very interested to see the graph of noise level recorded from digital silence.
Thank you

The graph of digital silence, AKA Digital Black is nothing to see. It's actual level is - infinity dB which puts it off of the bottom of any regular analysis chart. There is no noise, nothing.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #35 of 51
Are you saying that digital itself is 0.5dB louder, or certain DACs, or what? The relative loudness by itself creates a better sense of space? I fail to comprehend what you're saying.

Level matching  is only one of the typical problems with audiophile sighted casual evaluations of CD versus LP or tube versus solid state or amplifier versus amplifier.

(1) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not reliable evidence because they are not tests. That is, they do not involve comparison to a fixed, reliable standard.

(2) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not reliable evidence because they involve excessively long switchover times, which makes them highly susceptible to false negatives because they desensitize the listeners.

(3) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not reliable evidence  because the do not involve proper level matching, which makes them highly susceptible to false positives because people report the level mismatches as sonic differences.

(4) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not reliable evidence because they do not involve listening to the identical same piece of music or drama within a few milliseconds, creating false positives because people report the mismatched music as sonic differences in the equipment.

(5) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not reliable evidence because they constantly reveal the true identity of the UUTs to the listener, creating false positives because people report their prejudices and preconceived notions as sonic properties of the equipment

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #36 of 51

no_signal.png

Courtesy of http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

We can clearly see the difference between this and your Post 4 graph. Thank you for this and the Cooledit software link.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #37 of 51
  We can clearly see the difference between this and your Post 4 graph. Thank you for this and the Cooledit software link.

Cooledit was great but has been swallowed into the Adobe empire (boo, hiss)  emerging as Audition and not cheaply either

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #38 of 51

DACs and cartridges have their own output level. It varies from one model to another. When you compare the sound of a vinyl to the sound of its own digital copy, played through a DAC, you adjust the playback volume so that the loudness is the same.

What I was saying is that If, in this case, you feel that digital has not the same sound as the direct analog playback, given the performances of DACs in general, there is a possibility that, on the short term, a tiny difference in volume adjustment is mistaken for a difference in space, dynamics or resolution. Beware of this effect before jumping to conclusions that would turn out to be invalid in the long term. Most of the time, a vinyl passed through an ADC + DAC chain sounds the same.

This is not valid for DACs with no oversampling, or exotic antialias filters pretending to "preserve temporal accuracy". These extremely expensive designs (around 1000 $ and more) alter the sound in such a way that there is a real difference between the analog path and the ADC+DAC path.
Paradoxically, cheap DACs like the ones in 200 $ CD players or 100 $ soundcards do a correct job and don't alter the sound in this way.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #39 of 51
  I don't really care about the lead-in groove or exit groove noise as much as I would if it were so dirty that it was damaging my stylus. Which reminds me: having a damaged stylus and causing permanent damage to my media has always been one of my greatest fears. I could ruin a good portion of my collection from simply playing if it went for a few months unnoticed.

If you measure the noise on a LP. the noise level on the lead in and exit grooves are usually about the same as the noise level on the tracks between the tracks, and are by implication the same as the noise level that is buried underneath all of the non-quiet parts of the LP.

Why would it be any different? Does anybody seriously think that recording engineers have noise generators that they use to add noise to what should be the quietest parts of the disk? No, in fact many recording engineers the  ride gain controls on the cutting head's amplifier in an effort to make these the quietest parts of the LP for pretty obvious reasons.

Why doesn't  it always sound that way during the entire disk?  The noise that is still there is masked by the music.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #40 of 51
  This is not valid for DACs with no oversampling, or exotic antialias filters pretending to "preserve temporal accuracy". These extremely expensive designs (around 1000 $ and more) alter the sound in such a way that there is a real difference between the analog path and the ADC+DAC path.
Paradoxically, cheap DACs like the ones in 200 $ CD players or 100 $ soundcards do a correct job and don't alter the sound in this way.

As long as the non-oversampling DACs or DACs with exotic antialias filters have reasonably flat frequency response, they sound the same as oversampling DACs.

NOS DACs which are a popular form of non-oversampling DACs don't have reasonably flat frequency response because they are intentionally defective and are lacking components that they were designed to be used with.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 51
NOS DACs which are a popular form of non-oversampling DACs don't have reasonably flat frequency response because they are intentionally defective and are lacking components that they were designed to be used with.

Umm...

Isn't NOS just an abbreviation for Non-OverSampling? You seem to be saying something akin to "DACs, which are a popular form of Digital to Analogue Converters, are..."

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #44 of 51
My DAC is an oversampling DAC. It actually doesn't even give you an option: 24/96 or 24/192, no "none". I read a while back that it will take a 24/96 or 192 file, downscale it to 16/44, and then upscale it again. In addition to that, it doesn't support DSD, and I'll want to try out DSD and hi-res PCM in the future. Should I avoid or favor "oversampling"? What's the pros and cons?

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #45 of 51
  My DAC is an oversampling DAC. It actually doesn't even give you an option: 24/96 or 24/192, no "none". I read a while back that it will take a 24/96 or 192 file, downscale it to 16/44, and then upscale it again. In addition to that, it doesn't support DSD, and I'll want to try out DSD and hi-res PCM in the future. Should I avoid or favor "oversampling"? What's the pros and cons?

IMHO I would avoid any DAC that insists on re-sampling in any way.  There's no way that a file is ever going to be improved by re-sampling to anything but it's native speed.
Re-sampling twice like you say yours does is just nuts, to what end?  The less you mess with a file the better off you'll be. Why else do we take such pains to get our servers bit perfect to the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back