Vinyl vs Redbook in 2015
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

jtaylor991

1000+ Head-Fier
I've spent most of my weekend reading through a couple of these drawn-out vinyl vs. digital threads. My stance has never been that vinyl was technically superior to digital, because I totally understand how it simply ISN'T. That being said, I have collected some because I get a sense of space in the music that I rarely experience with digital (I can't say never -- just while I've been reading this weekend a couple of albums on Rdio streamed at 320kbps even wowed me with their vinyl-like (to me) fidelity in that regard). Someone in this thread or another pointed out that it may be some sort of psychoacoustical effect brought on by the noise floor or something like that. Maybe the music masks the noise floor just like it masks my tinnitus (I'm gonna get it looked at soon!) but the presence of it gives some sort of ambient air to the recording that tricks my brain into feeling a "room" so to speak. That seems like a totally rational explanation. I don't have any sort of nostalgic preference for vinyl, nor do I find any special tonal qualities in it; I don't find it inherently "warm" or "analog sounding", but listening to it compared to digital (in general) could be compared to taking off my sunglasses indoors. There's nothing new that I couldn't see before, but everything is more there and real. The weird thing for me is that that's really the only thing it brings.

I'm reading through these trying to convince myself otherwise because I hate everything else about vinyl. I deal mostly with new purchases of electronic music on vinyl (which probably seems even more stupid to some since it obviously would have a nearly completely digital path until hitting my turntable), so I don't necessarily need to worry about a whole lot of crackles and pops (just whatever debris is left from the plant), but it's expensive. And I still do have to deal with that from any other purchase. Sometimes stuff gets warped in the mail and I have to exchange it (Amazon makes that process easy and free, but it's still time I'm not listening to the record). I have to deal with knowing that I could potentially be degrading the quality of the media with a worn stylus or something. I have a couple of records that already have a skip or sticky place in them (it's just my cart/stylus not tracking -- one of them I just increase the weight by half a gram for that one side of four for the album and all is good). It's annoying to set up the turntable properly to ease worries about said degradation. I still am going to bump the cabinet every so often and possibly scratch something when the needle jumps.

What I've considered is doing digital vinyl transfers to the highest fidelity recording I can (DSD128?) for archival purposes and then listening to those.

I'm going to do some kind of A/B testing with digital and vinyl versions of the same release and try to see if I'm not actually experiencing what I mentioned earlier. After all, I experienced it with some records and then have been buying exclusively vinyl when it's available ever since (which is only a few years -- I'd rather get out of it earlier rather than later!), so it may be a farce. Like I said, even 320kbps streaming this weekend for a couple of albums totally wowed me. Some of my vinyl albums seem like they should be more "wow" for me. I feel like this may be evidence of the recording and master being different. I always thought that to be the case, don't get me wrong, I didn't think vinyl was actually superior on paper (as previously stated), but I may have been wrong in assuming that the vinyl master would be just plain better in the vast majority of cases.

Also, I wanted to mention that I've had the same experience with a reel-to-reel tape deck. I have a Frank Sinatra tape (factory recorded) that just sounds so great, such wonderful staging from what I remember (the deck is in storage). I have a bunch of other Peter, Paul, and Mary ones too that had a super wide soundstage, but not that realistic (not dissimilar to the Beatles stereo masters with the vocals and instruments split to separate channels?), and there was some hiss and what not in the recording (I deemed it OK because it was there on Spotify too, interestingly enough).

Anyone have any advice on proper A/B testing? I don't really know how to do it without "knowing", but maybe non-blind will be good enough for me. My vinyl rig is a Dual CS-5000 turntable with Ortofon Omega cartridge and stylus (well, the stylus is upgraded to one that's $20 from my record store that I got because I could buy it alone vs. a whole new Omega combo), which was like $40 on Amazon, so nothing too high-fidelity. Same receiver and cans in my sig that I use with my PS Audio DLIII DAC. It did make me curious how well my $40 cart+stylus performed compared to my ~$500 DAC.

Something to consider is whether or not nowadays which format has the majority of the better masters of the two. Does anyone have anything to say on that? I initially began investing in vinyl under the assumption that the vast majority of the time it would be home to a better master than CD, but now I'm beginning to reconsider this. I'm starting to feel like if I hear it and it sounds great on digital streaming, it's going to sound just as good if not better on Redbook CD and vinyl too, and if it sounds (relatively) like crap, being on vinyl isn't going to make it a whole lot better at least.

This being about what it's like now is my rationalization for kinda, y'know,
deadhorse.gif

Thanks for your time! Happy listening in whatever way you choose
smily_headphones1.gif

[Disclosure: (most of) this is cross posted from another thread but after giving it a day or so it hasn't really gotten much attention and I figured it wasn't entirely undeserving of its own thread anyway.]

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 51
If you want to compare the final output of your turntable vs. DAC, you can make "rips" of both to the same digital format, then level-match and time-align the two recordings. You have a decent ADC lying around?

The basic rule seems to be that vinyl masters will sound better when the Redbook version has been deliberately mastered badly (compressed and EQed to death). In genres not affected by the "loudness war", you'll find plenty of CD material with great sound.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 51
  What I've considered is doing digital vinyl transfers to the highest fidelity recording I can (DSD128?) for archival purposes and then listening to those.

I have digitized some of my best LPs to 24Bit/96kHz files using Audacity and the ASUS Essence STX II. I have gotten decent results for listening with headphones or portable or just to listening to my computer at my job but if I want serious sound, vinyl is still king for me.
 Something to consider is whether or not nowadays which format has the majority of the better masters of the two. Does anyone have anything to say on that? I initially began investing in vinyl under the assumption that the vast majority of the time it would be home to a better master than CD, but now I'm beginning to reconsider this. I'm starting to feel like if I hear it and it sounds great on digital streaming, it's going to sound just as good if not better on Redbook CD and vinyl too, and if it sounds (relatively) like crap, being on vinyl isn't going to make it a whole lot better at least.

A decent TT and a new or clean and free of floor noise (pops, bad needle, etc) LP still puts any digital recording to shame.  What happens is that all digiphiles compare a digital recording to a $1 used and worn out LP, where all you hear in the LP is someone cooking a bag of popcorn.   As to preserve the quality of sound of a LP I don't know what would be the best method other than just take good care of it.  Lots of people claim that the LP is inferior to CD, yet LPs sound much better in a high performance 2 channel home stereo. If you listen to headphones or computer speakers even a MP3 sounds decent because you have the speakers in your ears vs. the effect of big speakers in a room.  If you put your ear close to a Spanish hand made classical guitar, sure you are going to hear bigger notes and more detailed sound but that is not the natural way of people listening to guitars.  This is what happens when listening with headphones, no matter the quality or price.  Everything sounds inside your head.  Still cool, but is not the way we listen to real and natural music.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 51

silent_groove_freq.png

note all the low frequency noise

Do me a favor, may you put a graph that would show the noise of tubes vs. the noise of the LP (brand new or free of blemishes).  What is noisier? I know that tubes are noisy but I believe that tubes sound much better than any solid state amp.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 51

Do me a favor, may you put a graph that would show the noise of tubes vs. the noise of the LP (brand new or free of blemishes).  What is noisier? I know that tubes are noisy but I believe that tubes sound much better than any solid state amp.

No, that is not an issue in this current discussion, you want to discuss LP vs Tube you can start another thread, you are trying to deflect from what you said 
 A decent TT and a new or clean and free of floor noise (pops, bad needle, etc) LP still puts any digital recording to shame.

The graph shows the noise from a silent groove i.e before you even attempt to add a signal to it and shows a lot of inherent noise , if you would like me to post a graph of the noise levels recorded from digital silence I'll happily do so

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 51
Glad to see nick_charles and judgmentday at it again! Too bad bigshot got banned (or not?).

RRod, I don't doubt that I wouldn't hear a difference, I know that digital is technically superior and would be able to capture the vinyl fully. The decision I'm trying to make is either buy vinyl and transfer to digital, or just buy CDs. That probably should depend on which one usually has the better master, which seems to be vinyl, but I would like some advice on whether that is a fair assumption to make for the aforementioned reasons, as well as any warnings on potential problems with the strategy of just transferring everything.

I'd love if I could just do CD because I wouldn't need to maintain two systems (no need for high end analog equipment for proper transfers/playback) and new purchases are so much cheaper ($5 to $15 vs $20 to $30). But, if it really is normally that much better, then I'll do it.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 51
It really depends on your genre choice. As one possible avenue, you can go here:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

and see if certain albums available in both CD and vinyl have the same DR ratings. If the CD has a much lower DR than the vinyl, then you know something fishy is up with the CD mastering. As an example, see Megadeth's "Rust in Peace". You'll notice older CDs have the same DR as the vinyl, but the 2004 "remaster" CD is way lower. This kind of thing happens all the time. For this album I found the CD release with the good DR and looked on Discogs for that specific release.

For my classical stuff (the bulk of my collection), I wouldn't even bother with vinyl. Quiet passages really get intruded on by the noise of the format, and it's not something I can tune out.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 51
I've read in a few different places that DR ratings are unreliable ans virtually useless for vinyl but that's all I know, I am totally ignorant on what they are, mean, how they work, etc. Have anything to say about that?

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 51
Just stick with CDs. It's always good to investigate the different options available as to remasters, etc to see if there are better choices but your best options are hallways going to be on CD.
Why would you ever buy vinyl with all it's faults as to surface noise, ticks pops wow flutter etc etc just to live with all that forever on a digital rip. Makes no sense to me. This is 2015 not 1975, don't buy into the vinyl distortion lovers claims.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 51
See here:
http://www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/Measuring%20DR%20ENv3.pdf

So it's comparing the higher end of the RMS of the track versus the 2nd highest peak, so it's related to crest factor, and in fact measurements on my own collection show the definite positive correlation between the two. It's a decent broad measure of dynamism, a bit like BMI for obesity. Not perfect, but you know where it can mess up. For specific issues with vinyl see here:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-the-dr-database-really-accurate-for-vinyl.330706/

Still, I find it a useful tool for seeing if a *CD* is compressed, as the CD should never measure THAT far below the vinyl even if vinyl gets a fake "boost". Again, see the Megadeth example. I don't sweat the high of 16 on vinyl versus 15 on the good CDs. As a rough measure, I would expect them to have similar dynamism, more than the much lower-rated "remaster."

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 51
Glad to see nick_charles and judgmentday at it again! Too bad bigshot got banned (or not?).

@RRod, I don't doubt that I wouldn't hear a difference, I know that digital is technically superior and would be able to capture the vinyl fully. The decision I'm trying to make is either buy vinyl and transfer to digital, or just buy CDs. That probably should depend on which one usually has the better master, which seems to be vinyl, but I would like some advice on whether that is a fair assumption to make for the aforementioned reasons, as well as any warnings on potential problems with the strategy of just transferring everything.

I'd love if I could just do CD because I wouldn't need to maintain two systems (no need for high end analog equipment for proper transfers/playback) and new purchases are so much cheaper ($5 to $15 vs $20 to $30). But, if it really is normally that much better, then I'll do it.

It's all in good fun. For classical music with a wide dynamic range a well-mastered CD will be substantially superior to a well-mastered  LP as it will have much less extraneous noise and a much more consistent dynamic range across all frequencies so cymbals will have all their harmonics intact up to 20k, with LP the limits on encoding high frequency signals especially near the label are well documented and if you try and cram too much high frequency info towards the label the needle will literally jump out. Furthermore while some frequencies can be recorded onto LP at +20db they will be accompanied by up to 10% distortion, even a signal at 0db will have about 1% distortion

Digital vinyl 

see also:

The dynamic range for high frequency signals is decreasingly poor after about 2K

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 51
For genres, I listen mostly to electronic (trip-hop, hip hop instrumentals, etc; Amon Tobin, Massive Attack, Blockhead, Boards of Canada), rock (metal and "regular" and classic is cool too, but nothing I've explored a whole lot yet), and some hip hop. I like a bit of everything else too, haven't tried classical yet though. I know that classic rock will likely be much better on older, more original vinyl pressings than anything.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 51

No, that is not an issue in this current discussion, you want to discuss LP vs Tube you can start another thread, you are trying to deflect from what you said

It has too do a lot with LPs vs. Tubes because if you or the the digiphiles can live with the noise of tubes then you can very well live with the lesser noise of LP.
The graph shows the noise from a silent groove i.e before you even attempt to add a signal to it and shows a lot of inherent noise , if you would like me to post a graph of the noise levels recorded from digital silence I'll happily do so

If a silent groove has noise that can be percibed from the listening point in the room then you got a bad TT, scratched, worn out, or blamished LP. I understand that with vinyl there is a mechanical noise that is part of the playing but not to the point of affecting the whole presentation of the music.

I'm not saying the LP does not have noise, it does, but not compared to all the problems that CD has.  A good LP still smokes any CD any day of the week period.

Just compare this album:

The LP sounds worlds better than the CD.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 51
I've read in a few different places that DR ratings are unreliable ans virtually useless for vinyl but that's all I know, I am totally ignorant on what they are, mean, how they work, etc. Have anything to say about that?

LP sounds much better though. No matter how they proclaim the CD of having these wonderful specs, still LP kills the CD.  Buy a respectable TT and Cartridge and start enjoying what you have missed all this time. It is a little expensive but what beautiful thing in life is cheap?  A night with a nice woman is not cheap!  Prepare some cash if you want to have lots of fun. Ha, ha, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back