Vinyl vs. digital - a pilot study
Oct 2, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #76 of 84
  Nothing has infinite resolution, not analog, not digital. 'Infinite resolution' is just a silly claim often made by vinyl enthusiasts who do not even know what resolution means. In faith based audio it may be ok, in real world it is not.

A system with infinite resolution would be able to reproduce infinitely high sounds, infinitely low sounds, infinitely soft and infinitely loud sounds. Now, the resolution of vinyl cannot be calculated in the same way as with digital. But from this it does not follow that its is suddenly infinite.

Judgmentday, when are you going to tell us about the stairsteps that digital sound consists of? We are waiting eagerly...

Just because you cannot perceive 4K or 8K video on this ultra high resolutions does not mean that is not there. Audio is just the same, but you need suitable discerning ears, suitable equipment and high resolution recordings not junk.  To each his own. But don't say that bright, thin, brutal loud, brittle and unnatural  ass cds sound better than LPs because is simply not true.  I hate with a passion CDs.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #77 of 84
  Can you give some more information on how to read the graph, like which line is for which measurement? I am unfamiliar with this kind of graph.

EDIT: Also @nick_charles that site is pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

Sorry, it was kind of quick and dirty, so my labeling is non-existent >_<

Solid lines = Sample A
Dashed lines = Sample B
Red = Peak value over 1s
Blue = RMS value over 1s
Purple = Crest factor over 1s
Y-axis units = dBFS
X-axis units = minutes

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #80 of 84
  Funny how in the turntable forum at AudioKarma, the consensus opinion is that today's vinyl is mostly crap pressings on 40-year old record presses that are barely working.  Ordinary workaday pressings from the local record stores in the 1980s constitute a large part of my collection, and most of them are awesome and still quiet after all these years with no serious effort to clean them.

I'm beginning to wonder if you even own a turntable.

Also a very good reason as to why vinyl sounds so great from 40 years ago it is because it was recorded using TUBE gear.  Now days, they use the ear bleeding Solid State gear that sucks big time in comparison with Tube gear.  I got rid of my Solid State Amp and Preamp long time ago.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #81 of 84
  Also a very good reason as to why vinyl sounds so great from 40 years ago it is because it was recorded using TUBE gear.  Now days, they use the ear bleeding Solid State gear that sucks big time in comparison with Tube gear.  I got rid of my Solid State Amp and Preamp long time ago.

"it was better in the old days".

people give you factual information and you justify your posts with no more than "I like this, I don't like that". not the best for posts in the sound science subsection where objectivity is supposed to have a part to play.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #82 of 84
  "it was better in the old days".

people give you factual information and you justify your posts with no more than "I like this, I don't like that". not the best for posts in the sound science subsection where objectivity is supposed to have a part to play.

Which facts?  It is just their opinion! There is no evidence that the CD sounds better that LP or even any digital recording!
Lots of respected audiophiles like myself testify about their listening experience about how CD sounds in comparison to LP but you don't get that. It is fine, it's OK.  Even when digiphiles are confronted with a nice LP audition admit and say the "wow effect" as to how good LP sounds still they always talk about the inconvenience of getting up of their ass to turn the LP or any other stupid inconvenience.
CD sounds thin, muddy, bright, loud, brittle, convoluted and boring.  Digiphiles also use these exact terms to describe the CD sound vs. the LP sound, they admit the superiority of sound but will not change their mind.  I'm not here to change your mind.  Keep listening to your CDs though.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #83 of 84

The LP has infinite resolution.  Therefore is not HD audio, 24bit/96kHz, DSD or any process that digititis creates.  Analog is the closest thing to the music period.
Vinyl has infinite resolution compared to CDs. Today's vinyl LPs are often well-pressed from good virgin vinyl, a quality level that did not exist in the greedy music biz 1980's. Man, I had some terrible pressings! Today is a very good time to own a turntable. I would say get a decent one and, also very important, invest in a quality elliptical diamond-stylus cartridge.
Forget about digital!  They, the CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, MP3, and all digital manufacturers have lied to us for more than 30 years!

This is completely false. LP's have extremely limited resolution about equal to 11bit digital. 24bit PCM is not even possible in analog one single resistor has more self noise then 24bit. The limits of analog is about 21 bits of resolution, or around 120dB signal to noise. There has never been any vinyl that even comes close to what came out of the microphone preamps when the recording was made. The same goes for analog tape it never plays back exactly what was recorded on it. All analog recording formats are lossy.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #84 of 84
   I hate with a passion CDs.

You are of course perfectly entitled to. But why are you making bogus technical claims? You do not seem to understand the difference between matters of taste (about which there is no arguing) and factual statements - which can be demonstrated, refuted etc.

When a listener prefers vinyl (or cd) it is a matter of taste. It would be foolish to argue that anyone's preference is somehow "wrong". Who am I to say that you are wrong to prefer vinyl over cd?

But saying - for example -  that all dacs sound thin, brittle, unmusical etc. is a little different. This is also a factual statement, the truth of which can be investigated. How? For example by feeding a signal through a dac and then listening if the signal changes audibly. If the signal does not change audibly, the claim of the dac's thinness, brittleness, unmusicality etc. obviously cannot be true. This is just what happened in the Tiefenbrun test. It is not a matter of taste anymore.

It is the same with the claim that vinyl has infinite resolution. It is a factual statement, not a matter of taste. What kind of evidence is there? How do you define resolution when making this statement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back