Vinyl vs CD within my budget
Sep 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering how would vinyl compare to cd or visa vera within the budget I'm looking to buy in. I'm looking at a rega p3 turntable and a Cambridge Azur 650c cdp. Still not sure what headphone amp or headphones I'm going to get, but something at the sennheiser HD650 level.

I really want to get into vinyl quite badly but if there's going to be a large difference between cd and record within my budget I may consider just waiting although I don't really want to.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Vinyl is more of an expensive habit than CD's. A lot more variables and gear needed to maintain vinyl than CD's. Have fun either way you go!

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Despite it's relatively inflated price these days the Rega is still reallyan entry level turntable so I'd listen to other makes like Pro-Ject which might be better value in Australia and definitely anything 2nd hand a dealer may have for sale in order to compare and get a handle on what you're getting for your money, as you may well find spending a bit more for a Michel or Roksan is worth the wait.

That said a Rega should be able to see off most CD players under 1000UKP, which is about 3x what it costs in the UK so I'd expect it to give anything from Cambridge Audio a run for it's money.

The most obvious difference will be in the treble, where the Cambridge players although super detailed can be a little forced and edgy sounding compared to the more natural sound of vinyl.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 4
If it is going to be your only source then get the CDP. Depending on your musical tastes you might not find every album you want on vinyl.
Also CDs are more user and dare I say labor friendly.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back