VINYL to FLAC Stylus Recommendation.
Jun 19, 2007 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

buddhashenglong

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an excellent\affordable stylus to transfer vinyl
to digital using a numark TTX spdif coax into an M-audio firewire solo with audacity, cooledit or soundforge. Accuracy is my goal. I don't know much about needles outside of club\radio mixing,(shure m 447, ortofon , stanton al 500) . Any help is much appreciated as real time vinyl transfer is something I don't want to repeat. Too many records and if I don't start soon I'll never get there. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 14
I know someone who undertook a similar project and used two cartridges:

a Benz ACE and a Benz ACE mono

Not my cup-of-tea in terms of sonics, but the transfers turned out amazing!

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 14
You don't need to have an expensive needle to get a great transfer. A good vinyl rip 1/3 equipment, 1/3 software and 1/3 knowing what to do. I'd say at least go for Audio Technica MLa440 or Shure M97XE. I have heard transfers using both and they all sounded fantastic. Remember though, it's only 1/3 of the solution.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 14
bsl: Apparently you've got a dj table with comparatively short tonearm. Investing in a good hifi cartridge with elliptical or more complicated needle type like the Benz, Shure and AT models mentioned above would be rather pointless for such a table. I'd rather recommend a cartridge with spherical/conical needle that is designed for tables like yours, e.g. the Shure Whitelabel.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 14
The TTX comes with a straight tone arm and a 's' curved one. If one is longer what difference does it make to the sound? Recording from this table's digital output will hopefully increase the sq of my transfers. Now I'll checkout some of these links and by the time I figure it out I can afford one of these cartridges.

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 14
bsl: If you picture the geometry of a conventional tonearm in your mind (or on a piece of paper), you can imagine that unlike with a linear tracking tonearm the needle cannot be ideally aligned with the tangent of the groove all the time - instead it will be slightly misaligned most of the time. And you will also see that the shorter the arm, the bigger the mistracking angles get relative to the tangent of the groove. Now, with a conical/spherical needle, this isn't that much of a problem, 'cause the profile of the needle is always the same no matter of its position in the groove. Whereas the more profiled elliptical and even more advanced (hyperelliptical, Shibata, Line Contact, Micro Line, Fine Line, Micro Ridge, Gyger, van den Hul...) needle types naturally react more critical the less parallel they sit in the groove. In bad cases, this will even ruin your records over time. So for a table with short arm I'd recommend to best stick with conical/spherical needles or at least only use comparatively blunt ellipticals.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's great to know and a lot to consider.

Just like your username
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 14
My previous post was an unintended understatement, what a can of worms. People will be debating some of this stuff until doomsday, maybe after.
I will definitely do some trial and error of my own, and I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back