Vinyl through cans...OH YEAH!
Nov 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #91 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but I think we're going to have to conclude that you may be a bit of an outlier.
biggrin.gif

Sorry....I am VERY diseased. The Benz Glider S-Class is an amazing cartridge for around $1K.
biggrin.gif
Under that, I am partial to the Shelters as they are very well built and sound great.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #92 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any experience with the SoundSmith moving iron cartridges? Their very high output is interesting and the ability to remove my MC phono stage and go straight into my McIntosh Integrated's MM stage would shorten the signal path and remove a cable. I am not sure there are any MM cartridges that would compete with my Lyra Skala, so I am thinking the MI route.

I've looked at those myself and couldn't find much feedback other than the couple of big-name reviews. One other option in the HO niche might be Len Gregory's Music Maker III carts.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #93 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think half the fun of records is being able to say that you "spin" vinyl.

That's how it starts out, then you realize "wow, this $699 set up is great", then you buy $3200 phono stages....you get the idea.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #95 of 112
Had a rare free morning to just listen to records. It was fun! Just put a new arm and cart on the Gyro and picked up a new MC phono off A'gon. Here they are playing nicely together. The spring covers were off because I'm still futzing around trying to get perfect bounce. These are the perils of suspended tables!

IMG_2558.jpg

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #96 of 112
That is one cool looking table, sir. Enjoy!

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #97 of 112
i've posted in a couple other threads but I think this is the most relevant one. I'm soon upgrading my turntable rig to be played primarily through cans. And looking at tables, i'm considering the Rega Planar 3 for my table. However at the same price I can find a P1 and throw a brand new Shelter 201 on it. Just wondering how those 2 setups would compare. Or should I just get the Planar 3 and then wait to upgrade the cart?

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #98 of 112
Get the best you can afford. That's my advice...I went thru many tables to find a good sound. If you get the Rega make SURE you mount it on a wall(using a wall shelf) unless you are on a concrete ground floor.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #99 of 112
If there's one thing I love about listening to vinyl with headphones is their ability to pick up on pressing defects. I have missed mild things on my speakers, but the Omega 2 are so revealing that it's really nice to know that something is perfect if it plays back flawlessly (especially important with all this reissue vinyl and the vast number of defects we're seeing from even the "best" pressing plants).

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #102 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by theHof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've posted in a couple other threads but I think this is the most relevant one. I'm soon upgrading my turntable rig to be played primarily through cans. And looking at tables, i'm considering the Rega Planar 3 for my table. However at the same price I can find a P1 and throw a brand new Shelter 201 on it. Just wondering how those 2 setups would compare. Or should I just get the Planar 3 and then wait to upgrade the cart?

I bought the P1 for a first table, and can tell you it's a good budget table, but the motor isn't the most accurate, so you can sometimes hear it slowing down and speeding up...not good. Just something to consider...

If your serious, get the P3 and wait to upgrade the cart is my suggestion

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #103 of 112
I have not been listening to CD since I bouhgt a Rega P3-24 + TT PSU + Denon DL110 3 weeks ago
o2smile.gif

a record cleaning machine will be next...

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #104 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidult /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not been listening to CD since I bouhgt a Rega P3-24 + TT PSU + Denon DL110 3 weeks ago
o2smile.gif

a record cleaning machine will be next...

A record cleaning machine is essential for good vinyl listening. It really makes a ridiculous amount of difference. I guess that makes sense...as clean grooves are what is necessary......

Also. Pay attention to cleaning fluid. My personal fave are the fluids put out by Disc Doctor. The brushes are quite good as well. I used to use...maybe miracle cleaner or something like that...cleaned one of my favorite records twice with it and thought it sounded great. Got some disc doctor...and it somehow got even MORE stuff out. Been convinced ever since.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #105 of 112
I just started really getting into headphone action a couple of months ago. then a freind gave me 50 Lp's two weeks ago and needless to say.... I orderd a turntable and while waiting bougt another turntalbe???? The I walk out of the audio store wit a new reciver that was on sale because it had a built in phono stage and I said and it had a built in headphone jack... But I loved the amp I was using....LOL I just get out of control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back