Vinyl setup
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

momanjabo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new here, and I hope you can help me out.
I'm looking to buy the Technics SL 1210 mk2 this week, but I'm completely new to vinyl.
All the audio gear I have is the Sennheiser HD 650 with an JDS Labs Objective+ODAC (Amp and DAC combo / built-in-one).
I'm not sure how the setup for this'll be. I reckon I'll have to buy a stereo integrated amplifier, but then I'm not sure my "Amp+DAC" is applicable, as the headphone amp inevitably comes with a DAC, and vinyl is already analog. Do I need to buy a completely new headphone amp, as well as the integrated amp?

Thanks for you time

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 12

All the audio gear I have is the Sennheiser HD 650 with an JDS Labs Objective+ODAC (Amp and DAC combo / built-in-one).
I'm not sure how the setup for this'll be. I reckon I'll have to buy a stereo integrated amplifier, but then I'm not sure my "Amp+DAC" is applicable, as the headphone amp inevitably comes with a DAC, and vinyl is already analog. Do I need to buy a completely new headphone amp, as well as the integrated amp?

You'll need a phono preamp, which is basically similar in function to the output stage on a DAC or CDP where you find for example HDAMs and Op-Amps, where the cartridge is like the DAC. Note you can't just use any phono pre - it has to match what kind of cartridge you're using and some of them only work with one, not both; and even then there would be a switch, it won't auto-detect. 

Also, are you using them with speakers? If not, then skip the huge integrated amplifier, unless it has a built-in phono preamp, but then again the problem here is that they're restricted to just one type of cartridge, and this time there isn't a switch.

Check your O2-ODAC - did you get the one with RCA sockets in the rear? If it has these, are they configured as inputs for the O2? If yes again, then just hook up the phono pre to the O2 inputs, since your digital source/transport goes into the USB port for the ODAC.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613136/turntable-setup-questions-thread-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-your-question-here

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 12

You'll need a phono preamp, which is basically similar in function to the output stage on a DAC or CDP where you find for example HDAMs and Op-Amps, where the cartridge is like the DAC. Note you can't just use any phono pre - it has to match what kind of cartridge you're using and some of them only work with one, not both; and even then there would be a switch, it won't auto-detect. 

Also, are you using them with speakers? If not, then skip the huge integrated amplifier, unless it has a built-in phono preamp, but then again the problem here is that they're restricted to just one type of cartridge, and this time there isn't a switch.

Check your O2-ODAC - did you get the one with RCA sockets in the rear? If it has these, are they configured as inputs for the O2? If yes again, then just hook up the phono pre to the O2 inputs, since your digital source/transport goes into the USB port for the ODAC.

Thanks for the reply,

So what you're saying is that I need a phono preamp that matches the type of cartridge I'm using (MM vs. MC)?
I have no speakers yet, and I will just hook the player up with my Sennheisers for the time being.
With all this in mind, will my setup be record player -> (cartridge) -> phono preamp -> new headphone amp -> Sennheisers?
So I need to aquire both a preamp and a new headphone amp, as the amp I've already got is a amp+DAC combo?

Thanks a bunch

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 12

Thanks for the reply,

So what you're saying is that I need a phono preamp that matches the type of cartridge I'm using (MM vs. MC)?
I have no speakers yet, and I will just hook the player up with my Sennheisers for the time being.
With all this in mind, will my setup be record player -> (cartridge) -> phono preamp -> Sennheisers?

Thanks a bunch

No, what I said was that depending on your O2-ODAC specs/configuration, you could:

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 12
See above. All the phono preamp is doing is amplifying a very low voltage signal. If you're using a turntable, this means that you're generating a signal off the tiny groves in a record, and the phono stage is going to amplify that without (hopefully) letting it get all noisy.

From there, you just plug the preamp's output into your amp's (analog) input, and music should come out. If your amp doesn't have an analog input, only then would you need a new headphone amp.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 12
A great way to take care of that phono setup is buying a vintage speaker amp - if you have craigslist or a shop that sells them I highly recommend this route.  Not only will you have vinyl capabilities but you have speaker connections if that matters, and best of all they make great headphone amps.  Own 8 vintage systems, and the flexibility this would allow you is nice. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 12
See above. All the phono preamp is doing is amplifying a very low voltage signal. If you're using a turntable, this means that you're generating a signal off the tiny groves in a record, and the phono stage is going to amplify that without (hopefully) letting it get all noisy.

From there, you just plug the preamp's output into your amp's (analog) input, and music should come out. If your amp doesn't have an analog input, only then would you need a new headphone amp.

Cool, I'm pretty sure there's an analog input on my amp, but just to be sure I'll let you have a look:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2njkeb5.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/1hqr88.jpg

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 12

Cool, I'm pretty sure there's an analog input on my amp, but just to be sure I'll let you have a look:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2njkeb5.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/1hqr88.jpg

You got the inconveniently placed front TRS jack version instead of the rear RCA jack version. It can work, but you'd have what looks like a cable Kraken on your desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back