Vinyl questions. How to identify the cartridge, and is the stylus upside down?
Aug 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MindsMirror

1000+ Head-Fier
My roommate has a turntable and he asked me if I could try to set it up correctly. I've never done it before but I watched a few videos and it doesn't seem too complicated. I just have a couple of questions.

First, how do I identify what the cartridge is? It has the Audio Technica logo on the front, and it's yellow as you can see in the picture below. I don't see any serial or model numbers. Would they be on the top, covered by the head?

Second, this may be a dumb question, but is the stylus upside down?

I know the image is bad, I don't have a better camera so I also drew a picture of what the stylus looks like.

The little boat shaped bit on the end is facing away from the vinyl surface. Is that what is meant to be in the groove? Or, is it oriented correctly, but is the skinny piece (connecting the boat to the long part) meant to stick through so that it is in the groove? It looks like the skinny piece goes through a hole in the long piece, and it could possibly be pushed through further so that the boat is flush with the long piece and the skinny piece sticks out the other side toward the vinyl surface. Or, is it just worn down completely so there is no longer a point? Pictures of styli on Google seem to have a much finer point, which is why I though this one is messed up somehow.

Please forgive my terrible terminology. I know 'boat' and 'long or skinny piece' are surely not the correct terms but I don't know what else to call them.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 5

"long skinny thing" = tonearm (very roughly, whatever holds the laser head in an optical disc player)
"boat" = cartridge (very roughly, both the laser head and the DAC in an optical disc player) ; needle must be facing the vinyl
"TT stylus" = actually refers to just the needle (like a stylus for the touchscreen); cartridges come with one, usually user-replaceable (very roughly, this is like the laser head on an optical disc player)

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Maybe my picture was a little confusing. I know the cartridge is upside down in the photo, that was just so I could get a picture of the stylus. The drawing is of just the stylus. I drew it because the photo is too blury/low resolution to see it properly. What I called the 'boat' is only about 1mm long. I found out that the 'long piece' is the cantilever.

My roommate had the counterweight all the way in (i.e. way too much VTF), so the stylus got messed up and the point of the stylus that is meant to sit in the groove got pushed back into the cantilever, so now it is broken. Or maybe the stylus was already messed up, and he added all that VTF just to keep the cantilever in the groove. Anyway, I took the cartridge off and found the model number and have ordered a new stylus.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 5
That could be some kind of suspension system for the stylus. In any case you'll be getting a new one, just check the proper settings so it won't scratch up the vinyl any more than physical contact should and it should be good for a while. As with moving parts though that should be checked regularly.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I've been into turntables & cartridges for about 45 years now. Most likely the model number is hidden under the mount. Unless I missed it what turntable do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back