vinyl question, record is disintegrating
Apr 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pulsar08

New Head-Fier
I bought a record off ebay and it played fine but was a bit dusty so I cleaned it with this solution called magic giant thats been sitting in our cabinet for 30 years or so and a velvet brush and it must've had some kind of reaction cuz when I play it now it is disintegrating and leaving all this light brown dust on the surface and sounds awful. The strange thing is I used the same method to clean other records and it was fine. Anyone know what's going on?

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't say what is going on, but I do suggest you NOT put your stylus back in those grooves...

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I realize that and I won't use that cleaner again either. I hope the stylus is ok. It still sounds ok for an old shure v15 type iii but I'm not too sure if it is different than before.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, the solution is designed for vinyl. It says right on the label "anti-static record cleaner designed to efficiently remove dust, dirt and static without harming records" lol
mad.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 9
If the chemical had gone bad I would think it would have reacted with the other records I used it on but maybe not. The other possibility is that I just filled the grooves with dust and the needle is digging it out as it plays. This seems like it might be possible since I can see what looks like a brownish residue on the record surface or it also could be deterioration of the plastic. I think I may try the wood glue method on this lp because I don't have the money for a rcm and I don't really have much to lose.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 9
It could also be that the solvent in the record cleaning fluid has broken down a layer of gunk which is coming off the record as brown dust now you've loosened it up.

If possible get the record vacuumed at a store that has a proper RCM and don't use any more solvents on it for now. Failing that try cleaning the record more with just distilled water and cleaning cloths.

You should also get some stylus cleaner and clean your stylus which is no doubt caked with brown gunk. You can get a 30x magnifier and do it yourself on the cheap using isopryl alcohol and a mascara brush which any chemist should sell. drag the brush gently over the needle tip from back to front and don't let the isopropyl get into your stylus body. Also don't be tempted to use it on records either.

If your stylus is worn then Lpgear sell the JICO SAS replacement tip for the V15 III but you might want to also get a cheap conical tip for it which they should also have to check out dodgy records like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back