Vinyl Problem
Jan 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my pressing is on white vinyl and I have the same general issues with regards to poor sound quality.

Generally coloured vinyl pressings have a higher noise floor than than traditional ones as they don't bother to clean the presses properly so you often have visible discolourations where colours mix with residue left on the presses.

Personally I'd only buy coloured vinyl or picture discs as a collectors piece unless they are coming from an audiophile label that will really go the extra mile to ensure pristine pressings. Many labels print these kind of releases purely for obsessive fans who must have every edition ever so sound quality is not always at the forefront of their minds.

Also the Rega Super Elys cart you are using is a very analytical design which will expose flaws like this mercilessly, much more so than some other carts. Of course there is nothing wrong with this and many cart designers favour a warts and all sound but it's certainly something to be aware of...

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally coloured vinyl pressings have a higher noise floor than than traditional ones as they don't bother to clean the presses properly so you often have visible discolourations where colours mix with residue left on the presses.

Personally I'd only buy coloured vinyl or picture discs as a collectors piece unless they are coming from an audiophile label that will really go the extra mile to ensure pristine pressings. Many labels print these kind of releases purely for obsessive fans who must have every edition ever so sound quality is not always at the forefront of their minds.

Thanks for the info, I had suspected that the coloured vinyl releases were more prone to this kind of thing in general. I think in the case of the Air release, it was probably done for asethetic reasons.

I think the Rega Super Elys is probably not a great match with my current high efficiency speakers as it is probably too analytically revealing as you say.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ideas why the issue would have switched channels, or also why it's more prevelant after the first track on the disk?

You need to test each link in the chain methodically to see if it's the record itself or some effect it's having on the rest of your equipment.

Does it do this on another set up? would be the obvious first question.

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #20 of 27
Hey guys. I'm having issues. My AT LP-60 is ran to a schiit sys then to a Asguard 2. The problem I'm having is that there is a constant buzz going on in the background. Any help would be great. I'm pretty new to the vinyl side of music.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 27
Sounds like a grounding problem. What do you have the ground wire attached to?

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 27
Hmmmm...that doesn't sound like a great design. TT's need to have a chassis ground. But it could also be that something is getting picked up by the cartridge - do you have the turntable very near to a speaker, or some piece of digital gear?

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 27
Well if possible, try moving it well away from those units and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back