Vinyl popping and static
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

splaz

1000+ Head-Fier
How do I get rid of it ?

I expect a certain amount, but it's a bit over the top at the moment. I've heard some recordings of vinyl and I honestly cannot tell except for maybe a slight pop or two at the very end of the side.

The turn table is vintage so may need to check everything is setup properly.

Cartridge looks like the OEM one to me, so I'm guessing 30 years +, no idea if it's original or replacement stylus. I'm guessing that would be worth replacing.

Clean the records properly as well I guess ?

I gave them a wipe over with a soft lint free cotton cloth but that probably isn't ideal.

Should doing all that improve things... because to be honest I've held off on doing anything on the possibility It will be a waste of time or money ?

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I would get a record cleaning machine.
I have the VPI HW-16.5 Record Cleaning Machine.
There are others out there like Nitty Gritty.
I like the VPI.

vpi165820largevj1.jpg

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Apr 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 4
IME vinyl pops and ticks are mostly the noise of dirty records. So the first thing is to make sure the reocord is as clean as you can get it with whatever way you use to clean it. IMHO use of some kind of record vac is crucial because otherwise washing a LP just moves the dirt from one place to another on the LP if the solution isn't vacuumed off the disc.

Don't really need to spend lots of money on a RCM, many use a DIY or Nitty Gritty. Once the LP is clean, applying an antistatic treatment like Gruv-glide helps eliminate pops from static.

With records bought used, sometimes there's only so far you can go. And get the stylus checked out ASAP to avoid damage to your vinyl if it's not in good shape. A worn stylus is a wrecking ball to vinyl grooves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back