Vinyl Outselling CD!
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #19 of 86
I have been buying twice as much vinyl for every cd I buy,and I buy allot of cd's...

This all started for me about two years ago,with Showbiz & AG's 'Runaway Slave'.I wanted it,but did not want to pay 60 to 200 for the cd,so,I found a vinyl copy (original release/sealed) for under 50 bucks.Funny thing is I bought the cd just yesterday,after giving up on finding an original release from 1992.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 86
I can just imagine all the *******s at the RIAA busily trying to figure out how to add DRM to vinyl
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm happy that vinyl is making a resurgence as it's another great way of getting music into our ears. Debates as to which is better is besides the point, which is choice and personal preference. I'm all for it whether I partake or not.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 86
I have mixed feelings about vinyl. I would like to get a turntable like how our family had one when I was little but damn, those records take up so much space and are very heavy when moving around in bulk.

I would like to see a revival of 8 track tapes. That would be cool.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can just imagine all the *******s at the RIAA busily trying to figure out how to add DRM to vinyl
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm happy that vinyl is making a resurgence as it's another great way of getting music into our ears. Debates as to which is better is besides the point, which is choice and personal preference. I'm all for it whether I partake or not.

Very good points....especially RIAA intent
icon10.gif

Anyway, I'm one of those purists. I have a decent vinyl rig. I have a very good digital rig. My digital rig wins hands down with SQ on new recordings. IMO, this gets to be more of a gray area with older recordings. I do like collecting used records, and have found the old 70s and 80s LPs to sound quite good. I have tried getting newer LPs, and their SQ just doesn't seem as good as my digital. I'll continue to get digital for new recordings, and vinyl for vintage.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriant
(...) while the small group who appreciate analogue have only one way to get an analogue copy ... by purchasing vinyl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Uhm - what? Actually, my NV-HS900, NV-HD660, V-3000 and WM-D6C all produce fairly good analogue copies.

lini: Sorry for the confusion. I'm not using the word copy to mean "self recorded copy of an original recordingl" .... I'm using it to mean " one original pressing " .... as in, "I'm going to buy a new copy of that LP." or plural "They've sold 100,000,000 copies of Dark Side Of The Moon?"

A tape recorded copy of a digital original, although technically an analogue recording, wouldn't qualify as a true analogue recording....at least not from the perspective of a vinyl lover.

For the sake of clarity, I should have said: "(...) while the small group who appreciate analogue have only one way to get an analogue original ... by purchasing vinyl."

Copy that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #25 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit.

I liked it when everybody thought LPs were worthless.

+1

I guess I need to go out and snag up all the copies I can.

Christ this is gonna get $$.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #26 of 86
I grew up in the vinyl era and have no fondness for it, “snap crackle or pop”. Except for the larger cover art, that was indeed a bonus.

That said, if people want to buy vinyl, that’s fine with me, just don’t get on your soap box and tell me its better, because it has its share flaws too.

- augustwest

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #28 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I grew up in the vinyl era and have no fondness for it, “snap crackle or pop”. Except for the larger cover art, that was indeed a bonus.

That said, if people want to buy vinyl, that’s fine with me, just don’t get on your soap box and tell me its better, because it has its share flaws too.

- augustwest

I agree with this statement to a large degree. I have heard pristinely clean vinyl with no clicks and pops that was wonderful. The best sound I have heard period had an analog turntable front end. But the noise and surface flaws of typical analog is just to much to take after becoming used to the quiet of digital; for me. Plus, digital is to the developemental point where the sound quality rivals analog in most areas. With all the hassels of vinyl I just cant see analog in my future.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #29 of 86
I can certainly see the point for vinyl, SQ!
For 20 years I've been annoyed by CD sound, sounding so unpleasant and unmusical compared to vinyl.

But for me, all that chanced last year when I bought a Rega Apollo, the first CDP I ever heart I could afford ánd enjoy.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #30 of 86
Good. Hopefully this puts the fire under the record industry to improve recording standards and mediums. Unfortunately, this will probably only move them towards spending yet more on debilitating copy protection. Quality hasn't been an issue since the move to digital and I don't see them putting quality before cost effectiveness/convenience any time soon. Fortunately the majors don't sign good bands or music anymore and exceptional music has more or less subverted to the underground where quality is more often respected/appreciated. Probably the best thing that could come of this is a drastic move towards sacd/dvd-a next gen HD-audio formats, much harder to pirate and players are now available for cheap to play these formats. In fact, I don't see why this hasn't happened yet. They are probably afraid to lose those profits from these human bacteria who don't even know about SACD etc. I guess they didn't think it out too well since these very people now steal an even crappier format of music because they were not taught the importance of quality. It appears their greed has caught up with them, oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back