Vinyl or CD?
Dec 11, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #92 of 106
That's a really tempting sale.

I just got back from testing one out, and the MM-5 is REALLY fragile. I doubt I could really care for that well...

Does anyone think I should pick up on this or wait and see how I like the Regas at the store?
Thanks guys!

Andrew

Dec 11, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #93 of 106
I like the MMF5 alot. I think most quality TTs will be somewhat fragile. It's a precision instrument and all. I don't really know what the "bomber" TTs would be that would sound as good.
I 've heard good things about the Regas too but I don't know that they're much tougher.

Dec 13, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #95 of 106
How do you guys like the Goldring GR1 turntable? It seems to have gotten many great awards from different hifi magazines, and it looks to be a very versatile arm which can be upgraded well. It fits my budget perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Andrew

Dec 13, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #96 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
How do you guys like the Goldring GR1 turntable? It seems to have gotten many great awards from different hifi magazines, and it looks to be a very versatile arm which can be upgraded well. It fits my budget perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Andrew

I had the GR-1 before my P3. It is a great table for the price. It is essentially a P2 that is sold with a cart. I believe it has a Rega Rb250 arm. I've seen them for around $250 used. Brooklyn Audio has it for $350 new with cart.

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #97 of 106
I am going to order the GR1 from Goldring in a few minutes. I'm very excited
biggrin.gif

Now, speaking of a phono stage, I thought that the NAD PP2 would be good. I hear it performs MUCH better than its little brother, the PP1. I can get it locally for 130 dollars. Good price?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody know if this is an acceptable phono stage or not? Thanks!
Andrew

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #98 of 106
Quote:

Now, speaking of a phono stage, I thought that the NAD PP2 would be good. I hear it performs MUCH better than its little brother, the PP1. I can get it locally for 130 dollars. Good price?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody know if this is an acceptable phono stage or not? Thanks!
Andrew

I'm interesting in knowing what you all think is a good phono in this price range also. (dont mean to jack your thread aman)

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #99 of 106
So, I ended up canceling my order for the GR1. I saw other options available.

I saw the Project Debut 2 from Sumiko which comes with the Ortofon OM 5E already mounted. How does this compare to the Goldring GR1? Will the quality of the sound be signifigant to the much higher price? Keep in mind that this will be my first turntable.

Thanks guys!
Andrew

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #102 of 106
Quote:

How much better/worse is it than the GR1?

I've never heard the Project tt. I had the GR-1 and thought it was a nice first tt. I didn't keep it long as an upgrade opportunity presented itself. For the money, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I can't tell what kind of tonearm it has. The GR-1 I believe has a Rega RB250 tonearm.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #104 of 106
Okay, thanks guys!

One last question.

Has anybody experienced buying any turntables from audiogon or other trading/auctioning sites? If so, can anyone here tell me their experiences on how reliable the purchase was? I only ask because I want to assure that, since turntables are pretty fragile, I receive the turntable all in one piece.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

Okay, thanks guys!

One last question.

Has anybody experienced buying any turntables from audiogon or other trading/auctioning sites? If so, can anyone here tell me their experiences on how reliable the purchase was? I only ask because I want to assure that, since turntables are pretty fragile, I receive the turntable all in one piece.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I bought both my GR-1 and Rega P3 on Audiogon without incident. I also sold my GR-1 on Audiogon. Make sure you check feedback. I've been pretty lucky, I have not had a problem with anything I've bought on Audiogon, Head-Fi and ebay (one problem on ebay and the seller took the item back). Try to get a tt being sold with original box and ask for it to be double boxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back