vinyl n00b
Mar 22, 2007 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DrkRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm thinking about playing around with an old turntable that my parents have. I was wondering what I should check/adjust on it when I get it out (its been in the loft of a garage for a long time), mostly I'm worried about damaging vinyl when I try to play something on it. Also I'm pretty sure there is some vinyl up there, do you think they would be in good enough condition to play? They've been sitting in hot and cold (no heat or AC) for at least a decade.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think anyone can give you a precise answer on that. Too many unknown variables: model and condition of table/arm/cartridge? initial quality and actual condition of the vinyl?

If you tell us a bit more about the table, we can probably tell you whether it's a bad/mediocre/good one to begin with. As for the condition of the vinyl: In the end, you won't know before you try - but you might at least be able to make an educated guess: If possible, go to a record store that trades both new and used records and inspect a couple visually - from that you should be able to develop a certain feeling for how vinyl in good condition should look like. Maybe you can also bring some of your parents' records there and ask the owner about the condition.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back