Vinyl n00b requests some direction
Oct 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pekirt

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've got a Sennheiser HD650 with a FiiO E7/E9 combination, none of it modified, along with a decent sized FLAC collection. My tastes are varied. I have (a small amount of) money lying around, so I started thinking about modifying/changing my setup, perhaps buying new cables or a better amp... But before that, I want to learn whether it would be worth my while to go vinyl. (I don't have THAT much money lying around, so if a decent sounding turntable is out of my reach, then I'm better off spending my money elsewhere.)

Problem is, I know zilch about vinyl and turntables and I don't have time to conduct my own research. There must be good guides for a n00b out there, but being a n00b, I wouldn't know which one of those is good. I'd appreciate any links to decent intros, reviews and the like.

Thanks everyone,

Baris

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 4
I am becoming an audiophile but I still can give some decent advice. I would not go for vinyl because of price. Vinyl is more expensive and because the recording is on the grooves, I think you need to take good care of it or the grooves get screwed, music gets screwed. Also you need to buy this specialized dust gun thingy that demagnatizes dust to make it easier to clean. Stick with digital even though vinyl sounds better.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 4
I've learned that if you're on a tight budget, it's best to go digital. It takes thousands to get a proper audiophile vinyl rig, and finding/maintaining vinyl can be expensive (A proper cleaning machine is a few hundred dollars) not to mention the fact that new vinyl is more expensive than CDs, and the sound quality will begin to degrade after a few plays.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you very much for your replies, and apologies for replying late myself--it was a holiday time here. As far as the price thing, I thought it might be out of my reach due to the initial prices (cost of the record and equipment itself) and I --possibly-- could deal with that, but you raise good points on the upkeep costs. Fortunately, a friend of mine has started a record collection and will soon obtain a turntable, so I can see how it goes and decide--not to mention take my headphones and head over for a listening session or three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back