VINYL LOVERS: Rega RP6 Exact Cartridge Factory Aligned...or Not?
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JMIJohn

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a Rega RP6 with a factory aligned Exact 2 cartridge ($600 cart, 2000 for the set). Does this look aligned to you? It sure doesn't to me. But maybe they are wiser than us and know the best alignment for this cart? Or maybe the included protractor is off? It just seems strange as the factory setup is supposed to be one of the perks of this package. Sounds great already, wondering if I can pull a little more performance out of this baby.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Really hard to tell from the picture. Seems like REGA is using the single point (My Clearaudio supplies that kind also)

A few things to be sure

1) IS the diamond stylus EXACTLY on the dot they give ?
2) Sight down the cantilever...is it exactly parallel to the line it sits on

If 1 is no, you want o move the cart forward or back so that it does

If 2 is no, then you want to align to that (after 1 of course) because not every cart body is 100% straight in relation to the cantilever. It should be but of the cart body is SQUARE to the grid but the cantilever is not parallel to that center line (directly lined up over it) then you know you are not 100% aligned

Hope that helps....If you supply another pick, raise up a bit and get closer.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Good insight re: the cantilever vs the cart. I'll check it out.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 5
It is key....when I align my carts (example below) I use the normal method first (single point or baerwald) and then use a special mirror protractor designed to align that last 1% - or right from the start ...I have a friend on another site that custom makes them in either baerwald or Stevenson alignment. Mine has extra gridlines I asked for and of course mine is finished, his sample shots were on ones he had not completed staining

Clearaudio single point first

Mirror protractor

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi.

I just purchased the same set up as an upgrade to an old NAD turntable I had (which in fact was made by REGA some time ago). Mine was off as well. My dealer determined this in store and set about making corrections. A few days later I re did the whole thing myself...  That said, the proof is in the listening.  

I'm no longer using the 3rd screw.

To my training/experience, arcorob is right. It's all about getting that cantilever parallel to the centreline on the protractor.  You might want to invest in a better protector one day. Something like the AccuTrak perhaps.

​Good luck and let us know how it goes. Fussing with vinyl and turntables is an adventure, but that's all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back