Vinyl how-to basics
Oct 20, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctafonk
im realitively new to the vinyl scene too, but am totally addicted.

Michael G., Lavalamp, Aman and the other veterans:

im using a combination of an audio-technica brush to remove excess dust. then this spray (again, audio-technica) for further cleaning (sorry, links in japanese).

do you think this is a good way to go? apart from buying one of the (expensive) cleaning machines, do you think I need to take any further cleaning steps like you described above?

cheers

Depends on the condition of your vinyl collection. Lately, I only buy new or clean, near-mint used vinyl so I dont bother with heavy-duty cleaning unless I find a particularly valuable used record that just so happens to be very dirty. I try to buy from the best ebay sellers, who usually pre-clean their used records with a VPI wet-vacuum cleaner before selling. Normally, I'll use a dry record brush and stylus brush before every play. I drop my stylus (gently) onto a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (brushing off the fine grit residue from the stylus afterwards) every few record plays or so. I have never invested in an expensive wet-vacuum cleaner like the VPI or the Nitty Gritty. When I need to deep-clean, I use the "Groovmaster" system, which is available for $40 or less from a seller on ebay. With Groovmaster, you can hold the LP (or 45) under a waterfall if you'd like - without even wetting the record label. I spray the record down with a cleaning solution, scrub it with a brush, and then spray it down again with pure distilled water to rinse. Lastly, I dry the record - first with a clean, lint-free cloth and then by letting it thoroughly air-dry before I play or store it. Groovmaster is a wonderfully simple solution to heavy-duty record cleaning - maybe not as good as a VPI or Nitty Gritty, but way cheaper...

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G.
When I need to deep-clean, I use the "Groovmaster" system, which is available for $40 or less from a seller on ebay. With Groovmaster, you can hold the LP (or 45) under a waterfall if you'd like - without even wetting the record label.

So that's what that freakin' thing was called... thanks Michael! I remembered about this device but didn't remember the name of it, or know if the guy was still selling them. Looks like he is (and has been steadily, for years). I really need to pick one of these puppies up.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
You need to keep your stylus dust free. Just gently dunk it in a piece of white magic eraser a couple of times, and this should get the dust off the stylus.

Don't forget to dry brush your stylus after using the Magic Eraser! The M.E. can leave tiny abrasive particles on the stylus which can/will scrape the grooves if they aren't brushed off.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
So that's what that freakin' thing was called... thanks Michael! I remembered about this device but didn't remember the name of it, or know if the guy was still selling them. Looks like he is (and has been steadily, for years). I really need to pick one of these puppies up.

yeah me too. sounds like a great little invention. thanks for the advice Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back