VIntage: What can you tell me about Allied Equipment (pics inside)
Jun 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jraul7

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was the other day at my grandma's house and saw the following equipment which used to belong to my grandfather. I was only able to take this two crappy pictures, but based on the limited information I found on the web, the amp is a tube amp (Model 935). I am planning on taking this to a hi-fi repair shop to have their opinion on the equipment, but I would like to have more information before committing to refurbish all this (specially the amp and the turntable). I'll try to get more pictures on the weekend. I really want to get into vinyl and was wondering if I could start with this:

The system also have speakers that appear to be as old as the amp and the turntable, but I also have a pair of 90's Technics speakers that should work.

Thanks

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 3
This might help...if its the right company.

1928: Allied Radio was established as the radio parts distribution arm of Columbia Radio Corporation. The company was soon to become one of the most recognizable names in the electronics industry.

1932: The company built a growing business in marketing radio parts and kits to home hobbyists, and was one of the first to sell electronics through a catalog. In addition, Allied opened storefront distribution outlets to reach more amateur ham radio operators and experimenters.

1941-45: Having survived the depression, Allied focused on the war effort, primarily servicing government contracts and high-priority industrial orders. Allied gained experience in the industrial arena for the first time through government and military contracts, which laid the groundwork for the distribution niche we occupy today.

1946-60: The electronics industry exploded as new developments in electronics were adopted on a widespread basis in commerce and industry. Innovations such as television, industrial automation, space technology and defense accelerated the need for electronics. Consumer demand also grew as radio sets and components not available during the war proliferated. During this exciting era, Allied gained both the experience and specialized staff necessary to handle both consumer and industrial sales.

1962: The first industrial catalog for Allied Electronics, a subsidiary of Allied Radio, was released. The company continued to serve both professional and amateur radio operators as one of the few places to locate that "hard to get" piece of radio equipment.

1970: Allied moved its headquarters from Chicago, Illinois to Fort Worth, Texas.

1981: Allied began the process of moving from an all manual system to a fully computerized company. The process was completed in 1985.

1995: Allied is the first electronics distribution company to come out with a CD-ROM catalog and quickly followed-up by entering the e-commerce arena with the launch of a web site.

1999: Allied Electronics acquired by Electrocomponents of the United Kingdom.

2000 & Beyond: The combination of Allied's commitment to a high level of customer service and Electrocomponents' global reach delivers a very powerful supply chain solution to meet future customer demands.

http://www.alliedelec.com/alliedhistory.aspx

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the information! I tried looking for other information but there is not much in the web. I'll try to get more pictures during the weekend (specially the turntable and the back of the amp) and maybe try to fire the system up. I just need an LP record to try it
confused.gif

How do this vintage systems respond to an ipod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back