Vintage Recievers
Feb 25, 2005 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sburgoon

New Head-Fier
I was just curious as to the viability of using a vintage (70's) high end stereo reciever to drive a pair of HD600's? From what I've heard (suspect info I know) they had much better headphone out's than do modern recievers, and honestly, they just look damn cool. Any opinions? Also, if anyone knows, what are some classic models/brands. I was uh, not particularly alive back then, so I don't know what was good
wink.gif
If it's relevant, most of the music I listen too is from said era anyway, if it makes a difference. Thanks for the opinions.

Also: My setup is currently a computer as source with primarily lossless encoded audio and an unmodded emu 0404 hooked directly into my HD600's (I know, tragic, but its actually better this way than with my ****** modern sony reciever as an amp...)

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Some say older marantz have good phones out quality, but ime most of power amps from that era don't sound that good. I'd rather use 80's electronics instead (not the mass market one). The first adcom preamp, gfp1a, has good phones out.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sburgoon
I was just curious as to the viability of using a vintage (70's) high end stereo reciever to drive a pair of HD600's? From what I've heard (suspect info I know) they had much better headphone out's than do modern recievers, and honestly, they just look damn cool. Any opinions? Also, if anyone knows, what are some classic models/brands. I was uh, not particularly alive back then, so I don't know what was good
wink.gif
If it's relevant, most of the music I listen too is from said era anyway, if it makes a difference. Thanks for the opinions.

Also: My setup is currently a computer as source with primarily lossless encoded audio and an unmodded emu 0404 hooked directly into my HD600's (I know, tragic, but its actually better this way than with my ****** modern sony reciever as an amp...)

I've tried vintage Marantz amp with HD580 and the result was pretty good. I would say go for it if you already have one. However if you have to hunt one down from Ebay (can cost $50-$150), I would say consider getting an entry-level amp such as go-vibe, meta42 or pimeta. Based on my limited experience, newer portable amps perform equal or better than most of vintage amps. Unless you dig the retro look of vitange amp, I don't see a real benefit of buying one. Of course, if you can get it cheap, why not?

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 6
There is a good deal of information on using vintage amplifiers and receivers with headphones to be found on this forum. Just do a search on 'vintage', or your favorite vintage audio manufacturer such as 'Marantz', 'Yamaha", etc. and you will find a variety of opinions. There are many Head-Fi members that own a vintage integrated amplifier or receiver in addition to a modern headphone amplifier. In addition to the 70s solid state equipment, some of the vintage tube audio equipment such as the Fisher and H. H. Scott receivers and integrated amplifiers offer great headphone listening when they have been properly restored.

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 6
My Harman Kardon 730 receiver (from the late 70's) has a pretty good headphone jack. It sounds very similar to my Headsave Classic except it has a higher noise floor (which should be less noticable with high-z cans). Both go very well with my 0404 and DT770's. I got mine for $50 on an eBay Buy It Now link, though they usually for $75-$125.

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I have a vintage Kenwood KA-3700 That I am using for my Sony MDR-SA1000s and it does a much better job for them than my ra-1 clone. Wich is great considering I got it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back