Vintage receiver as an amp?
Jan 24, 2006 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys (and dolls), I have a Kyocera R-451 receiver that I bought brand new many years ago and am thinking of using it as an amp. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would love to buy a dedicated amp but just can't justify the cost at this time. Currently I am using a Cmoy so surely the Kyocera would be a step up from there. I listen mainly (but not exclusively) to MP3's via my E-MU 0404. I also have a Kenwood VR-605 but I'm pretty sure the Kyocera would be better.

TIA

eggosmile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 15
I used to use my old jvc receiver and it worked fairly well. Gotta say I like the pimeta better. The sound just has better clarity for a headphone amp. Its good though, but some day I'd recommend buying a heaphone amp.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 15
I've got a lovely vintage SONY TA-45 integrated amplifier, and it provides a nice alternative to listening to tunes through my mixer. My mixer is very dry, clean, neutral and analyitcal, which is great for producing or picking things apart. The SONY on the other hand, is extremely warm, dark and surprisingly wet for a solid state amp. It isn't clean or accurate but it is fun to listen to.

I'm in a similar position as i can't justify spending big money on a dedicated headphone amp right now (while i certainly would like to). So, from my perspective, using a vintage amp to drive headphones is a totally reasonable alternative.

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Plug your cans into the Cmoy, groove to it for an hour or so. Now instantly switch to the receiver's headphone out. Better? It may not be, so it's best to test!

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
"Would be" or "is"?

I mean, did you compare them or didn't you?

I haven't compared them side by side. The Kyocera is currently upstairs attached to the family home stereo system. The computer is downstairs in the office.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Kyocera R-451 vs the Kenwood VR-605 as a headphone amp?

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 15
Yea it's best to just go for it and test (really the only definite way to get anything done). If you enjoy the cmoy at least as much as the receiver (honestly you may like the cmoy better for varying reasons) then it's probably safe to assume that a dedicated headphone amp of better quality will be the better choice.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 15
HEY!!! I read your post and pulled out an old Kyocera R-861 receiver I have...I'm listening to it right now through a pair of 701's...this is about the best they've ever sounded(I have an MPX3 on the way though!)

I had a chance to make some quick comparisons and think it easily blows away a Grado amp and the maxxed out headsave I had. It's more musical then my buddies VanOlstein preamp(a very good hybrid preamp).

It has clear and extended highs without being bright. It's open and detailed. Has a slightly warm and rich sound...but not too so...Bass is tight but unspectacular...fine but not outstanding...not annoying.

Most people don't know Kyocera...but they made very good consumer stuff. It's probably clearly better then the Kenwood or anything mainstream...you'll be surprised...everything they made was ok. Their receivers started in the $800 range and went up to $1200 or so...a notch above the average stuff back then...that was in the 80's.

Hook it up and enjoy...you'll probably be pleasantly surprised....I was...

I hooked it up to my computer running wav's through a m-audio audiophile sound card directly to the receiver.

Hope that helps...

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm usually wary of really vintage stuff only because the electonics may be deteriorating, things get brittle, dry and stuff like that.
But I picked up this 80's vintage today and I'm lovin it. It smells really musty and dusty and one segment on the LED display is shot.
The tuner section is awesome and I'm not using an antenna. I christened it buy tuning it to the dance mix station, playing 80's grooves. I was surprised at how good it made my speakers sound.
Have not tried the HP out yet but the Tandberg Pre amp has a very nice headphone out.

IM000893.jpg

IM000892.jpg

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, I have a 1970s Kenwood Model 500 and a Model 650, and they both sond horrible compared to a Cmoy and a Portaphile V2^2. Muddy and deep. AS does a Denon integrated from the early 80's.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Well, I have a 1970s Kenwood Model 500 and a Model 650, and they both sond horrible compared to a Cmoy and a Portaphile V2^2. Muddy and deep. AS does a Denon integrated from the early 80's.

Typical due to the high impedance at the jack of most of these receivers. Some may like the resulting "warmth" however, but accurate it is not.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Same with my old NAD T751 HT receiver, the headphone out was horrible compared to the Go vibe.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 15
but again...nothing mentioned is of the quality of the Kyocera...All of that stuff cost a fraction of this unit when new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back