Vintage playboy magazines
Jul 24, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad used to have old Playboy mags, I remember sneaking looks at them when I was younger. I loved the differences in looks between women then and now.

To go along with that, and not necessarily attached to Playboy, but I just find the women back then to be way more attractive than the majority of the celebrities nowadays. They looked more genuine, more true, if that makes sense. I also liked how it was okay to be somewhat curvy.

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like Maxim magazine because it's a little too gimicky and lacks the style and elegance as the old Playboy. The old Playboy was for the sophisticated man who enjoyed his martini at 6 o'clock.

I thought real sophisticated man who enjoys his martini at 6 is more likely to have real classy woman as a companion instead of reading a nude magazine at 6 o'clock?

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To go along with that, and not necessarily attached to Playboy, but I just find the women back then to be way more attractive than the majority of the celebrities nowadays. They looked more genuine, more true, if that makes sense. I also liked how it was okay to be somewhat curvy.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Every time I see X celebrity or Y model I'm struck by how utterly fake and made-of-plastic they look. I may not wear a size 0 pair of jeans like those stick figures but at least I don't blow over in a stiff wind...

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #20 of 33
Funny story:

When I was a young man, we bought a cottage in northern Michigan. When we were cleaning it out one spring, my brother and I found a huge hidden stash of Playboy magazines.

Well, you can imagine our surprise when we discovered that our COUSIN was a Playmate of the Month in 1978!!
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny story:

When I was a young man, we bought a cottage in northern Michigan. When we were cleaning it out one spring, my brother and I found a huge hidden stash of Playboy magazines.

Well, you can imagine our surprise when we discovered that our COUSIN was a Playmate of the Month in 1978!!
eek.gif

LOL. I hope you threw that one away as quickly as you found it.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny story:

eek.gif

Owned.

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vintage it ain't, but one issue I have from '93 lists the Sennheiser Orpheus as a recommended "luxury" product for "discerning listeners." I was dumbfounded to say the least.

Not surprising really, that's just among the other stuff in Playboy i will never be able to afford or have.....
rolleyes.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 33
Ah yes, classic Playboy: The Fine Art of Photo Re-touching BPS (before Photoshop); The Battle for our 1st Amendment rights; The protest at Bette's Diner (Berkeley); The Jimmy Carter ("I have lusted in my heart") interview; The cat-licking ex-Miss America Vanessa William; The Pre-Madonna Madonna spread, hairy arm-pits and all. Yes fond memories.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that has more to do with the direction Playboy is headed in. Mr. Heffner doesn't really run Playboy day to day anymore, so it really doesn't reflect his personal style anymore. These days, I think they are trying to be more popular, so it relates more to popular culture.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 33
Hey it just occurred to me, how come no one has mentioned their favorite Playmates? That always makes for interesting conversation, unless it's not allowed here...
And even though Playboy today is sometimes hit and miss, they do have attractive Playmates often enough. And I would be a liar if I told you I read the articles. I always thought you should do one thing and do it well.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 33
Anybody here read Playgirl? I'm curious how the articles are in comparison to Playboy. I might do an A-B comparison on some vintage issues.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You try to tell us you never read one?

Sure!. We all read...between...mam...err...I mean...lines...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back