vintage phones are they worth it
Nov 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by philip1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so these 70's or 80's Sennheiser hd 224's are a good bet?

It's a crapshoot, many old Senns sucked royally back then, as with most other cans. There are gems out there if you know what to look for and where your tastes lie. Old for olds sake isn't generally a good buying policy. Old doesn't necessarily mean outdated or crappy.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a crapshoot, many old Senns sucked royally back then, as with most other cans. There are gems out there if you know what to look for and where your tastes lie. Old for olds sake isn't generally a good buying policy. Old doesn't necessarily mean outdated or crappy.

They were cheap ($15) so if they suck I'm not out much

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean DT 48s? Oh, never knew there was a DT-480 never mind then.

Me neither. I found them looking for the 48's.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 35
Pssshhhh... I own a ton of vintage stuff.

My Phonostage/Preamp/Amp is from 1979 Yamaha Natural Sound
My Stax are 1979 (made in Japan)
My Sony CD1000 are from the early 90's (produced and sold only in Japan)
The Audio Technica -701 are from 1973 (My official tester cans for new equipment - they will never blow - seriously)

Dang, I never realized that i was such a Japanese vintage fangirl. jeez.

At any rate, you can find many amazing deals on vintage AKG headphones and Beyer. They just keep kicking!

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 35
Depends on the headphone.

The 70's, 80's, and 90's produced an unthinkable mountain of terrible headphones dotted here and there with some real nice ones and some that are worthwhile because they are interesting.

Most of the really bad ones are in landfills now. The good ones are largely available.

It's been over a month since I spent more than a few minutes listening to headphones newer than 20 years old.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not all vintage phones are good. But headphone technology hasn't really done anything in the past 30 years.

This isn't really fair.

The principles remain largely the same but now we have computer modeling and simulation, and high speed laser scanning, so it's possible to have a far better knowledge of how well a design works.

Materials science has made tremendous progress. The polymers used are in a general sense largely the same polymers, but they are available in much higher quality - far more pure and far more consistent.

And machine tool technology has gotten pretty excellent. This in combination with the above allows for things like AKG's Varimotion manufacturing technology.

Whether or not a company cares enough to try really hard to design a better headphone, well, that's decreased a lot since the late 70's.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 35
Not to mention those awesome new Foster drivers that Denon's so insane about...

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention those awesome new Foster drivers that Denon's so insane about...

I still wonder if when foster says 'biocellulose' they mean microbial cellulose or not.

Takes a long, long time to get microbes to deposit that much cellulose fiber.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 35
I bought some RS-1's second hand, they were vintage and look much nicer than the new version. Arguably sound better too, hand made?

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 35
i'm on e-bay hoping to win...something I am currently bidding on some AKG's since I lost the bid on the Grado's. here's hoping.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought some RS-1's second hand, they were vintage and look much nicer than the new version. Arguably sound better too, hand made?

Grados are hand-made for the most part.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 35
ARGH I can't seem to win anything....

MB Quart model 240 they look interesting. Anyone heard them?

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 35
well shoot I won the MB Quart's I threw $45 at them and won

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 35
QP240 should be fairly nice. MBQuart and Beyerdynamic were close competitors for a long time.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #30 of 35
I guess I may have gotten lucky we will see when they are delivered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back