Vintage PCDP RightMark Measurements
Sep 12, 2003 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
On occasion of my 500th post to head-fi, I've ditched my SB Live and got a better soundcard
wink.gif
So I've started making RMAA measurements of my PCDPs, you can see the results
here.
So far it's the Sony D-5, D-22 and D-350, but I'm planning to add the rest over the course of the next few days, so stay tuned...

Sep 13, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
What soundcard?

a quote from Peters site.. Quote:

These signals are then played back by the player under test and recorded by a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 soundcard

what i'm interested in is how you got the older PCDPs to read these mini CDR recordings.... as mentioned before by both of us, the units could read 'standard' CDRs... but couldn't pick these test CDs up...

Whats the secret?

[edit] - Guess i'm a little slow tonight
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
.. what i'm interested in is how you got the older PCDPs to read these mini CDR recordings....

I'm not sure why they didn't read my first CDR in the first place. I had used a blank (Maxell) I'd never used before for audio CDs, and the CD contained just two tracks with a runtime of barely over one minute. Don't know which, if at all, was the reason, in any case the second CD, now on a Verbatim blank, contains a large variety of test signals with much longer runtime and works without any problem in all players.
And so far it looks like the D-50 rules
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 23
No way, the D-22 is louder than the amp-sucking D-5? No wonder I had to build an attenuator...

How'd you get the D-22 to play a CDR? My D-2 will try, but the output is unlistenably choppy.

Any chance of getting a psyc or other modern, cheap PCDP on that page for reference?

Oh, and congrats on 500 posts. Just passed that myself, on my six-month anniversary.

Sep 14, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 23
If I can't even manage to get the D5 to max volume, for fear of my extended hearing... that D22 must be pretty damned scarey
eek.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth
No way, the D-22 is louder than the amp-sucking D-5? No wonder I had to build an attenuator...

Yes, at 300 ohm nothing can touch the D-50, but into the lower impedance loads the D-22 has more power.

Quote:

How'd you get the D-22 to play a CDR? My D-2 will try, but the output is unlistenably choppy.

Don't know, mine reads them without any problem, it will even take that first CD-R that some of the other players refused to play.

Quote:

Any chance of getting a psyc or other modern, cheap PCDP on that page for reference?

That's a good idea, problem is gettin a modern cheap PCDP. I'll see whether I can borrow one...

Sep 15, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by D555
Hello Peter,

Great work!

I knew that the D-5 would kick butt.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks.
I think you should try measuring your 555 again, putting more stuff on the CD might actually do the trick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back