Vintage or modern speakers?
Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 23
There is lots of good vintage gear out there, but like anything else, some is good and some so-so. There is a likelihood they may need repairs in the near future from failing components.
Generally but not alway true, vintage gear has a strong midrange presence with gently rolled off frequency extremes, but they are not thin sounding like some modern components.

I've tried various pieces and always seem to move them on for one reason or another, but I'm very selective about my gear.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
There is lots of good vintage gear out there, but like anything else, some is good and some so-so. There is a likelihood they may need repairs in the near future from failing components.
Generally but not alway true, vintage gear has a strong midrange presence with gently rolled off frequency extremes, but they are not thin sounding like some modern components.

I've tried various pieces and always seem to move them on for one reason or another, but I'm very selective about my gear.

What are the speakers if your profile picture?

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 23
you should look into yamaha gear as well. yamaha has not only known for their legendary power amps and receivers that were known to be kings for low impedance driving under 4ohms but also has some of the best passive studio monitors ever made and even highly regarded to this day as one of the best still. the yamaha ns10 and NS-10M studio's are something to check out.

also lot of great Advent speakers too. Advent during the 70's were the first to have woofers to dig deep under 40hz and down to 20hz but required massive force and power from your amp due to it's acoustic suspension design. i forgot what Advent speakers they were but they are well known for their crazy bass extension. i would look into technics as well if going vintage. technic are very under-rated and under appreciated everywhere for their speakers. you can find nice pair of technics sb-6000A or SB-7000A for under couple hundred easily. if going little bit modern from technics the SB-t200 and SB-t300 are something to look at.

only modern speakers i really enjoy are the Pioneer sp-fs51-lr floor towers and for modern active studio monitors i really enjoyed the yamaha hs50m speakers.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 23
From what i understand about the NS-10's is that people use them because they sound bad but people know them, ie if you can make something sound good on the NS-10's you can make it sound good on anything. If you're not going to do any mixing i would look at something else.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 23
From what i understand about the NS-10's is that people use them because they sound bad but people know them, ie if you can make something sound good on the NS-10's you can make it sound good on anything. If you're not going to do any mixing i would look at something else.

you sure? they were highly regarded for being very revealing monitors and some people didn't like them cause they thought the speakers were at fault for their own bad mixing techniques. people might not like them either cause they can't really extend below around 50-100hz but had flat response from 100hz-20khz. i would just throw in a custom built subwoofer if looking for deep lows. other then that they can have some of the best clean midrange around if not overdriven from an amplifier.

EDIT: nevermind. sorry i read you wrong. sorry again bud. i would still get them personally for their flat response but that's if the person enjoys ''natural'' response sound and not something for a certain coloration but since op wants bass. i would look into the technics i suggested. they're known to have some powerful deep bass extension.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 23
Haha no worries :wink: I have not heard them personally but that's what i've gathered from people who use them professionally. I like monitor's as well for their neutrality and i use some Focal Solo 6's(not vintage) for my small pc setup and love them to death. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 23
I have a set of rare vintage Marantz speakers, I think from the 80s that I got from a thrift store. They are pretty good I must say but nothing really spectacular. I use it with a tube amp in my bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back