Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Apr 17, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,051 of 1,518
Here’s the settings.

Per discussions on EQ points for Expanse to adjust tonality to be closer to STEALTH: PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, -2.5dB. Conversely to make Stealth sound closer to Expanse, PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, +2.5dB.

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,052 of 1,518
I haven’t heard the Expanse or the CA1a, but have plenty of experience with the Susvara, Stealth, SR1a and others from Enleum, AIC-10 and CFA3 (my favourite).

The Stealth was excellent (though needed power), and if it helps (🤞) I’d describe it as being most similar to how I’d imagine a closed-back Susvara to sound. The Stealth was a nice pair of headphones, but ultimately one I sold. The Susvara was a better Susvara (duh), and I wanted a range of sounds, not a stable of a dozen headphones with oodles of overlap.

For reference, what’s staying:
- X9000
- Phi TC
- SR1a
- Audeze XC
- Meze Empyrean
- Grado RS2e

The CFA3 drives everything except the X9000, which will soon be joined by an Eksonic T2.

Hope that helps at least a wee bit.
Stealth will always be underwhelming as much as it is generally pretty competent, it can't hang at the ultimate.

You need the uberamp for SR1a. Although I might just say MT XL edges out T2 by a wee, you are set.

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #1,053 of 1,518
For the most part the Expanse tuning is the same except for that mid-bass hump. But what’s weird is that it somehow affects the whole spectrum.

Vocals have less of chest sound to them on Stealth. To me, it sounds less natural but everything has laser precision in detail and space.
I agree that the 100-250 Hz region affects way more than one would think. So many instruments and sounds have components in that region even if their main components are elsewhere. I've found that it affects the timbre of even higher-pitched female vocalists, which really confused me at first when I tried EQing a bass shelf on my Shangri-La Jr. I had to move the rise in the shelf to below 150 Hz otherwise even the trailing upper edge of the shelf would "thicken" the vocals in ways I didn't always like.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,054 of 1,518
I haven’t heard the Expanse or the CA1a, but have plenty of experience with the Susvara, Stealth, SR1a and others from Enleum, AIC-10 and CFA3 (my favourite).

The Stealth was excellent (though needed power), and if it helps (🤞) I’d describe it as being most similar to how I’d imagine a closed-back Susvara to sound. The Stealth was a nice pair of headphones, but ultimately one I sold. The Susvara was a better Susvara (duh), and I wanted a range of sounds, not a stable of a dozen headphones with oodles of overlap.

For reference, what’s staying:
- X9000
- Phi TC
- SR1a
- Audeze XC
- Meze Empyrean
- Grado RS2e

The CFA3 drives everything except the X9000, which will soon be joined by an Eksonic T2.

Hope that helps at least a wee bit.

Thank you! That is helpful. And how did you find the bass between the Susvara and Stealth?

And that's a pretty diverse group that's staying. Looks like a good group (although I haven't heard 1 or 2 of them)

For the most part the Expanse tuning is the same except for that mid-bass hump. But what’s weird is that it somehow affects the whole spectrum.

Vocals have less of chest sound to them on Stealth. To me, it sounds less natural but everything has laser precision in detail and space. And I get why people like it. But once you take a step back from its technical abilities, is it really more enjoyable? I think people say they hear more sub bass with Stealth as well. I heard on several setups at CanJam while testing my Expanse at the same time and always preferred the Expanse. It’s possible switching between the two without enough time in between had an effect on perception.

Thanks again, that's also helpful as well. I'll try to get a chance to listen.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #1,055 of 1,518
I keep going back and forth between the SGL Sr. and the Sony MDR-R10 as the greatest headphones ever. I cannot stress this enough, I'd sell any and everything for either of them lol

I'm listening to the R10 while working, and I'm finding myself not working at all lol

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,056 of 1,518
I keep going back and forth between the SGL Sr. and the Sony MDR-R10 as the greatest headphones ever. I cannot stress this enough, I'd sell any and everything for either of them lol

I'm listening to the R10 while working, and I'm finding myself not working at all lol

And the most surprising thing here is that ultimately, I think the R10 may take the cake. It absolutely has the glaring bass issue, but besides that, it's just pure perfection. And I doubted that was the case for a long time. If you can find a pair in decent shape, grab them without question.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,057 of 1,518
Can they even be found? Are they not like Omegas - so old that something is bound to go wrong?

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,058 of 1,518
Can they even be found? Are they not like Omegas - so old that something is bound to go wrong?

Yea that's the case. And it was the reason I paid them no attention all these years. But they are worth the risk, easily. The HE90 is right behind them overall, but I'd take it over them any day. Just perfection.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,059 of 1,518
@number1sixerfan damn, you make me want pull the trigger on the SGL lol...
I've always wanted a pair since having auditioned them at a local show with their companion amp. I wonder how they scale with the T2.
I wanted to make sure to grab other rare cans before though. Now that I'm done on the R10/O1, I have no excuse anymore... *sigh*

Right now my favorite cans are the Omegas (very early pair with SN under 100 - found these to sound VERY different compared to another pair in the upper 200s, which are too monitor-like for my taste). Second behind are the HE90s. Still can't rank the R10s - I need a decent dynamic amp for that. That being said, they sound amazing even straight out of my laptop, so I see a *lot* of potential here. I already miss them after sending them out to Benson for foams replacement. I want to make sure I will get the best out of these gems.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,060 of 1,518

Congrats, it looks like you have managed to get the Studio B you were looking for. Beautiful amp!
Do you know if they are still taking orders? (It seems to be still available at their website)

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,061 of 1,518
@number1sixerfan damn, you make me want pull the trigger on the SGL lol...
I've always wanted a pair since having auditioned them at a local show with their companion amp. I wonder how they scale with the T2.
I wanted to make sure to grab other rare cans before though. Now that I'm done on the R10/O1, I have no excuse anymore... *sigh*

Right now my favorite cans are the Omegas (very early pair with SN under 100 - found these to sound VERY different compared to another pair in the upper 200s, which are too monitor-like for my taste). Second behind are the HE90s. Still can't rank the R10s - I need a decent dynamic amp for that. That being said, they sound amazing even straight out of my laptop, so I see a *lot* of potential here. I already miss them after sending them out to Benson for foams replacement. I want to make sure I will get the best out of these gems.

Apologies for the late reply, have been traveling this weekend. If you've already auditioned them and really liked them I would definitely get them. I know your other headphones are a bit more tame in the treble/warmer overall, so I wasn't sure if they'd be for you. They scale up pretty high with the T2, similarly to the 007. As you mention, I would probably prioritize a good synergistic amp for the R10, even though they're easy to drive, a good amp for them definitely makes a clear difference.

Congrats, it looks like you have managed to get the Studio B you were looking for. Beautiful amp!
Do you know if they are still taking orders? (It seems to be still available at their website)

Craig isn't making any more Studio B's, and although I was told that he had an amp in the works, it seems he no longer has a workspace where he's at, so I'm not sure that's still the case either. I would ask people in the R10 thread what has paired best, as I've only used it and the Dave's internal amp. :)

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,062 of 1,518
Sony MDR-R10 as the greatest headphones ever
Hey, you got to stop with these posts here. You will eventually convince the amateurs and so-called people with a mindset that modern gear, supposedly in default mode, a headphone created 40 years can not be better but is better.

We all want the old number1sixerfan back that was skeptical; not the believer and understander that all these new modern gear are trash (don’t worry, I embellish your thoughts) :p -> Take that plywoodman, I see you there with your plywoods.

Hold it up higher, please. Wait, up a little, to the right, now center it, and a bit higher. Come on fang, I know you sleep with them and dream about them everyday. Just a little higher. I saw your new plywoods with your brand name marked on the middle. Try to copy Audio technica now huh. Don't worry just raise these up a little higher.

00.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,063 of 1,518
Hey, you got to stop with these posts here. You will eventually convince the amateurs and so-called people with a mindset that modern gear, supposedly in default mode, a headphone created 40 years can not be better but is better.

We all want the old number1sixerfan back that was skeptical; not the believer and understander that all these new modern gear are trash (don’t worry, I embellish your thoughts) :p -> Take that plywoodman, I see you there with your plywoods.

I'm glad you've at least admitted the bolded part lol. But yes, certainly, they are better than I would've imagined and definitely a no regret buy. :)

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,064 of 1,518
But yes, certainly, they are better than I would've imagined and definitely a no regret buy. :)
Too bad the R10 is impossible to find in my country and it'll be too much of a hassle buying from overseas. I'd love to try it some day if the chance arises.

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,065 of 1,518
Too bad the R10 is impossible to find in my country and it'll be too much of a hassle buying from overseas. I'd love to try it some day if the chance arises.

Yea and in full transparency, it is very hard to find a pair that is in really good condition. I got lucky with my pair and even then, mine are certainly less pristine looks wise than others. But getting a pair with good drivers, replaced foam (by someone competent), etc. makes it a bit of a crap shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back