Vintage Mullard xf2 EL34 vs. Groove Tube EL34M?
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone compared the vintage Mullard xf2 EL34 to the new Groove Tube EL34M, which is supposed to be a replica of the original xf2?

The Groove Tubes sound great. Especially at $100 for a quad. But I'm wondering if spending ~$400 on a quad of vintage xf2's would be worth the extra cost.

I'm using them in a SinglePower ES-1.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 16
I have never, ever found a "replica" tube that actually was. I admit I have never tried the EL34M, but I know the vintage Mullard EL34's, which I do have some of, sound terrific, and FAR better than other Russian-made EL34's I tried.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I dunno. I have no doubt that the NOS Mullards, if in good shape, will outperform any of the resissued offerings, but the gap may no longer be as large as it once was.

I've tried two reissues recently, the New Sensor Mullard EL84s and the Genelex KT88 and although the New Sensor Mullards get only part of the way there (still very good), the Genelexes are absolutely outstanding, and a terrific value given the sky-high cost of the originals. I'm assuming that the Groove Tubes are just rebadged or "selected" New Sensors and, if so, might well be worth a try. Other options here include the Svet Winged-C EL34s, which are excellent, reliable and inexpensive.

Let us know how it turns out and best,

o

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 16
While I agree with you Skylab, that replica's are never true replica's, I'm just wondering how big the difference is. I have some Electro-Harminix, RFT-Siemans, and the Genelex KT88 orkney mentions, and I like the Groove Tube EL34M much better. (So far.) I know I'll eventually give in and get some vintage tubes, but we'll see how long that takes. I have about $600 worth of tubes in my Concerto right now. It's hard to imagine using $1000 worth of tubes all at once, but then I guess anyone using vintage Western Electric 300B's would consider that a bargin.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, I am NOT saying the vintage Mullards are worth the money. Only a given individual can define "worth", and the difference will also vary depending on what amp the tubes are used in.

But for me, in a moddified Dynaco Stereo 70, the vintage Mullards were audibly better than Electro-Harmonix's were.

May 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 16
So I finally got the xf2's for a good price. Two GE's and two RCA's.
While I will say the xf2's are the best EL34's I've heard, the Groove Tubes are a very close second. The GT's just lack the ultimate fullness and richness the xf2's provide - most other aspects of the sound are very similar. I've tried five other makes of EL34's and the GT's are far better than those others, while the xf2's are somewhat better than the GT's.

I'm using them in a Single Power Concerto ES and Jade Electrostatic headphones and the sound and music are truely breathtaking.

May 26, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 16
The old tubes are better constructed in most cases which effects longevity and reflects a typical problem IE, new tube failure rates...even the SED winged C's I've bought lately (2 matched Octets) had 2 tubes fail within 15 hours or less....if I didn't catch it right away it might have caused some serious damage...and these were tested and matched. The Tubedepot promptly replaced them expressing their opinion of new production tubes as a crap shoot even when screened carefully. The SED's are considered one of the better new production tubes....the new EL34B from Tung Sol has a high failure rate according to sources at tubedepot....although these tubes when they work sound good (apparently to those that have working quads,pairs etc). Anyway...

New production tubes are flaky so keep a good eye on them for the first 100 hours after installing a fresh set, none are immune from premature failure. I have yet to experience a NOS tested and matched tube go south on me (knock wood). The Old Mullards in a Marshall Head are second to none......no comparison.

The level of quality between NOS and new production (except premium brands like Genelex, Gold Lion and Black Sable) is markedly different in nature and likely contributes greatly to SQ.

IMHO at least.

Peete.

May 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 16
I am VERY intrigued by these, even though Shuguang - anyone tried them? SO tired of mismatched, misrepresented xf2, even though I have 2 good quads and some spares.

May 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Yes, very intriguing. That's a very high price for new production CHINESE tubes - and hence, a big gamble. A quad of those is as much as I paid for my NOS xf2's.

May 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, very intriguing. That's a very high price for new production CHINESE tubes - and hence, a big gamble. A quad of those is as much as I paid for my NOS xf2's.

Agree. I've seen their ECC32/CV181's and been tempted, but their prices are ABSURD. They want $320/pair for these, and you can get for sure NOS Mullard ECC32's for $400/pair.

At $120 a pair I might bite - at $320, it's hard for me to see how they will sell ANY.

May 26, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Come on Skylab! Use your review prowess to convince them to loan you a review sample. It's the only way it will convince any of us here to buy them, if they are as good as they say they are!

May 28, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #12 of 16
I've listened to a lot of Groove Tubes in various guitar amplifiers. They're pretty much exclusively used in new Fender amps and I never like the sounds I hear out of them. I always prefer Old Stock because of the sound but also because of the quality and increased service life of older tubes.

May 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 16
Allow me to complicate the issue. If your amp can run EL34s, it can run KT-77s 99% of the time. The bias is a bit higher, but not enough to matter. A good KT-77 (like the new JJs) will give you some bottom and up top balance that your Mullards lack, without devastating your mid-range. Believe me. So, if your looking for a new sound just for a change of pace, get some JJ KT-77s.

I adopted the "change of pace" approach when i found myself falling in love with every new power tube I tried. (My amp takes almost all the big octals). However, after I bought a number of different ones and listened to them all for long enough, sure enough 2-3 came to the top. I biggest and best love are the GE6550As which are sort of "my Mullards" (compared to your situation), but they don't have everything. I think the JJ KT-77 is one of the best all-around performers there is. Try some.

May 28, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 16
I did try some in the Blue Hawaii, where the offset was <15v on the xf2, and the kt-77 just went nuts. Not sure what the deal was, but I powered down, and bailed, not to be revisited. I did gift them to another HF for his eval, but it didn't work too well for me.

May 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did try some in the Blue Hawaii, where the offset was <15v on the xf2, and the kt-77 just went nuts. Not sure what the deal was, but I powered down, and bailed, not to be revisited. I did gift them to another HF for his eval, but it didn't work too well for me.

The KT77s are hopefully going to be fully tested and vetted in a commercial design some time in the near future.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back