Vintage Marantz receiver in a non vintage set up?
Nov 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

UteroiD

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, 

Currently I use my M-Audio firewire 410 soundcard going into Sony STR-D611 receiver into B&W 601s or Sennheiser HD600s, I also have a Pro-ject turntable going into the receiver.  I was wondering if replacing my current receiver with something like Marantz 2230 will be a much of an improvement over my current one, and if it will be enough to power the B&W speakers.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a Squeezebox Touch, external DAC, Technics turntable, and modern Swan speakers going into a vintage Marantz 2265B.  65w per channel is more then I will ever need. 

Depends on the price of the 2230 and what volume you like to listen at since it's rated at about 30w/ch. half of what your Sony is putting out.

Marantz gear has a warmish laid back sound to it. I say go find one to audition before you decide. From a headphone perspective I like it with my AT headphones but I don't like it as much with my HD650. I find it a little too warm and wooly sounding with the Senn.

Another thing with vintage gear is that it may require at the very least some cleaning of the switches or a even a complete re-cap. Make sure your comfortable with doing either of those things or have access to tech who can.

Either way the market for vintage Marantz is pretty good, you can probably buy it, try it and if it doesn't work out sell the Marantz easily.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Here's the thread to ask this question on http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

I got a 2230 a couple of months ago at Goodwill for $15.  It plays but it's pretty beat up.  The power button is broken off, fortunately in the on position, so the only way to turn it on and off is to unplug it.  I have it on a shelf waiting for me to work on it.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 4
The marantz will defiantly most likely do better then your current one. vintage amps are built much better and not made like they use to be. can't comment how it sounds though.i see nothing wrong using vintage receivers with modern sources. to let you know lot of studios still use lot of vintage power amps for pure analog signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back