Vintage Koss Pro 4AA and Pro 4AAA frequency response tests
Dec 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DkossZoSo

New Head-Fier
Hi! This is my Koss from early 70-s!

I tried to draw the frequency-response of my vintage Koss Pro 4AA and Pro 4AAA by ear because I did not find their professional frequency-response tests!

Is there any professional tests of Koss Pro 4AA and Pro 4AAA sound, comparing with modern Koss models?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 9
DKossZoSo I have a question

What are the differences in sound between the Koss Pro 4 AA and the Pro 4AAAs? [the originals,not the titaniums]

I noticed Neil Diamond wearing them on one of the gatefold photos inside his masterpiece album The Jazz Singer.

The driver design looks similar to the Pro 4AAAT's . If they sound anything like Koss's precariously constructed open air Pro 4 AAAs from the 1980's I'll pass,lol. These phones would fall apart with a sneeze.

The Pro 4AAs are the best headphone I've ever owned,I think most discruntled owners are using them on I Pads or digital. For analog,thier sound can't be matched. The only problem I have with them is if you get a short in the wiring it's a very arduous job resoldering. Another bummer is the rubber headband has a nasty habit of turning gummy with age as with the inner foam pads that deteriorate with time and can actually get inside the driver housing
confused_face.gif

http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.com/

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 9

The Pro 4AAA sound way better than most closed back cans today do.

I hope for the love of all that is good left in the world that you mean this in the most subjective sense possible.
In my humblest of opinions, they are quite awful at most things.

They do however excel at sound isolation, and have the most IMPACTFUL 'high-pressure' sound experience I've ever heard from any headphone...
Not sure if that's even a good thing, since I quite literally felt that I was damaging my ears with them on moderately low volumes 
redface.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 9

I hope for the love of all that is good left in the world that you mean this in the most subjective sense possible.
In my humblest of opinions, they are quite awful at most things.

They do however excel at sound isolation, and have the most IMPACTFUL 'high-pressure' sound experience I've ever heard from any headphone...
Not sure if that's even a good thing, since I quite literally felt that I was damaging my ears with them on moderately low volumes 
redface.gif

No I mean objectively. Look at the frequency response graph OP posted.  That's almost exactly what you want from a headphone except for that boost around 2kHz.  I'd much rather have cans with excited mid-range like that than what most newer headphones today are tailored to have: excessive mid-bass boost, low mid-range suckout, and way too much top end that I can feel in my teeth.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 9

No I mean objectively. Look at the frequency response graph OP posted.  That's almost exactly what you want from a headphone except for that boost around 2kHz.  I'd much rather have cans with excited mid-range like that than what most newer headphones today are tailored to have: excessive mid-bass boost, low mid-range suckout, and way too much top end that I can feel in my teeth.

Since I've owned the Koss Pro4/AAA I can safely say it's absolutely not what I want from a headphone. 
My most used and favoured closed-back (Sennheiser Momentum) exhibits none of the negative traits you mentioned, so from my perspective this is a bit of a strange argument.

I especially didn't enjoy the low-fi sound. Just not enough detail ._.
Sure, in it's time I'm sure it was competitive, even impressive... but not by modern standards.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 9
  Since I've owned the Koss Pro4/AAA I can safely say it's absolutely not what I want from a headphone. 
My most used and favoured closed-back (Sennheiser Momentum) exhibits none of the negative traits you mentioned, so from my perspective this is a bit of a strange argument.

I especially didn't enjoy the low-fi sound. Just not enough detail ._.
Sure, in it's time I'm sure it was competitive, even impressive... but not by modern standards.

On the contrary, I find their mid-range to be excessively detailed.  I think the Koss headphones can easily compete with headphones that are highly regarded today, like the Audio Technica ATH-M50x.  If they're Lo-Fi, then so is the ATH-M50x.  I think that's an exaggeration because the Pro 4AAA sounds way better than actual lo-fi sound like Skull candy or Apple ear buds.

I'm not a fan of the Momentums because they lack bass.  I like the Focal Spirit Pros, definitely the most neutral closed-backs I've ever heard.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back