Vintage K141 600ohm modded or K240M?
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

WyldeGooseChase

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the 600ohm vintage AKGs.

I was looking at the K240M used, after seeing metal571's review of the K240DF (since the M can be found much cheaper than the DF). Anyone know how these two compare, and if the K240M has the same imaging as the DF?

The other, more interesting option I saw was the K141 600ohm Silver, which I think is a Sextett driver. I saw the pad disassembly on youtube and realized that there isn't anything keeping me from just taking off the on-ear pads, and stretching an over ear pad (probably from my K240S) over the cup itself. Anyone heard or heard of these vintage K141s?

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 7
The K240 monitor is nothing special.
The K240DF is a nice sounding headphone,however its quite bass light.
The K141 uses the same driver as the K240 sextett without the passive radiators that made the sextetts legendary.

What type of music are you wanting to listen to with these?

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 7
i was just looking for something with better midrange detail and imaging, open back. An upgrade from my M220 (K240S), so I wound up looking at the older 600ohm versions.

So the K240M isnt any better than the K240S?

Also thanks for the info on the K141. Have you heard them personally? Wonder if its worth modding to over ear despite not having the passive radiators as you mentioned.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention, I typically listen to movie soundtrack/game soundtrack, some indie music and metal.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 7
IMHO you should look into the K240 sextetts.Mind blowingly great mids,razor sharp imaging,epic for all guitar based music.
Here is my review of them.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Will the Sextetts be able to be driven properly by the Mayflower Objective 2? I hear the DF are the hardest to drive, but metal571's Magni 2 was able to do it.
If not, I wonder if there is an easier to drive alternative that you'd recommend. Your video definitely is convincing me of looking for a Sextett as long as my amp is up to it.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Will the Sextetts be able to be driven properly by the Mayflower Objective 2? I hear the DF are the hardest to drive, but metal571's Magni 2 was able to do it.

I used to have the Magni Uber 2 and while I was able to get sound at a fairly decent volume,the results were merely "meh".That aggressive,forward midrange wasnt there.
I have zero experience with the O2,and im not a guy who can look at specs and say with 100% certainty yes or no.

You might try asking around in the O2 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back