Vintage Headphones Collection: Where to start
Dec 27, 2010 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darknessproz

100+ Head-Fier
I want to eventually build up a collection of vintage, out of production headphones. However i have NO IDEA where to start. It would be nice if people can list their opinions on what are worthy out of production headphones. If people think it would be helpful, i will update the list on this post. Thanks!

List:
AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K500/501
Beyer DT48

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, purely in an aesthetic sense, I would rather have the AKG K 400 or K 500; the 501 looks a bit plasticky to me. Soundwise, I've only heard the 501 so can't say about the older models, but people here seem to agree they sound quite similar.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 5
AKG K270 Playback - will probably sound awful when you land it, but change the pads and add a bit of damping and they are pretty nice. I think vintage AKGs in general are worth a shot if you find them cheap.

I would add any vintage Yamaha or Fostex ortho to the list if you are the type who likes to tinker.

Jecklin Floats and the MB Quart versions should be on everyone's list for the fun of it, but can get a bit expensive sometimes on ebay.

Vintage stax electrostatics or electrets worth watching, although again, they can get a bit too expensive for my blood most of the time.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Vintage stax are probably out of my range.

Are there any other beyerdynamic models worth looking out for besides the DT48? 

Does anyone have a link to a list of out-of-production AKG models? The variations have me confused.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Check out the "Vintage Headphones of Interest" and "Orthodynamic Headphones Rating Chart" over on Wikiphonia. There's also a couple of interesting vintage Pioneer headphones out there, such as the Monitor 10. AKG of course has tons of interesting OOP cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back