Vintage Gun-Fi
Aug 9, 2008 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
I know there's another thread for guns in general, but I thought it would be interesting to start one dedicated to vintage guns specifically.

This is one I just bought off a friend, nothing too special, just a 1944 M38 Mosin-Nagant carbine in pretty good shape. Likely going to order a few packs of stripper clips, a scope mount to replace the rear sight and a long-relief 4x scope, and possibly a flash shroud/compensator, although I'm not sure on that yet. Nice (and inexpensive) start into the world of vintage guns.

I'd also love to get a K98, although I'm working around how to purchase one while living in a state and having a drivers' license from a different state. An M1 carbine would be nice but they're disgustingly expensive now....might try to buy the one my buddy bought and cleaned up, since I don't think he shoots it too much.

One thing I like about the 7.62 stuff is how cheap it is. I bought 150 rounds of Bulgarian surplus for $40 shipped, and my buddy said looking around a bit can net 440-round cans for about $45 a piece.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 9
1.It's a great peeve of mine when people use the word 'vintage' to describe anything old.

2. I have a Yugoslavian SKS. Ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be and it makes me mad. I also can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, so I'm thinking about buying some TechSites to go on it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.It's a great peeve of mine when people use the word 'vintage' to describe anything old.

2. I have a Yugoslavian SKS. Ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be and it makes me mad. I also can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, so I'm thinking about buying some TechSites to go on it.

"Old guns" just didn't seem to quite set the right tone. I've got an "old" .243, but it's not in the same "old" category as a K98 or the like.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 9
The appropriate term is generally "milsurp" since most "old" guns are in fact military arms.

That is a pretty Mosin; most I've seen aren't in such good shape.

A good friend of mine has an M1 Garand that his grandfather carried during the war, and a few other "old" guns he brought back from Europe at the time--including a German Luger pistol.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good friend of mine has an M1 Garand that his grandfather carried during the war, and a few other "old" guns he brought back from Europe at the time--including a German Luger pistol.

If I can muster just a modicum of financial restraint with other purchases, I will own a Garand in the next few month. I'm even willing to do the hoop jumping necessary to purchase a service grade M1 from CMP:

Service Grade M1 Garand Rifle Sales Program

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 9
not all old guns are military arms... plenty of older commercial pieces out there

My Collection of Militaria: Firearms

i've been on a quest to update my rifle photos lately... of course after starting on this quest and about 4 or 5 rifles in i figure out a better way than putting the rifle on my chair using indoor lighting... so some need to be revisited

here is the starting point in my updated pics series i've been posting over at gunboards... each thread links to the next thread at the bottom

1937 Izhevsk 91/30 - Gunboard's Forums

plus exactly where do we make the cutoff how old is old enough? i mean sure my marlin model 60 wouldn't qualify for old/vintage/whatever by a long shot as it was made in 2006... everything i else i have is at least 30+ years old... my universal carbine was made somewhere around 1969-1970 not sure about my thompson center renegade but i'd bet it's more than 30 years old (waiting to hear back from thompson center customer service... i emailed them the serial number hopefully they can reply with a year)

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not all old guns are military arms... plenty of older commercial pieces out there

My Collection of Militaria: Firearms

i've been on a quest to update my rifle photos lately... of course after starting on this quest and about 4 or 5 rifles in i figure out a better way than putting the rifle on my chair using indoor lighting... so some need to be revisited

here is the starting point in my updated pics series i've been posting over at gunboards... each thread links to the next thread at the bottom

1937 Izhevsk 91/30 - Gunboard's Forums

plus exactly where do we make the cutoff how old is old enough? i mean sure my marlin model 60 wouldn't qualify for old/vintage/whatever by a long shot as it was made in 2006... everything i else i have is at least 30+ years old... my universal carbine was made somewhere around 1969-1970 not sure about my thompson center renegade but i'd bet it's more than 30 years old (waiting to hear back from thompson center customer service... i emailed them the serial number hopefully they can reply with a year)

You've also got a Lee-Enfield :drool: Is that the .303? That's another gun I'd love to have.

That's one hell of a nice gun collection. That M1 carbine looks to be in beautiful shape, too - buddy of mine is on a bit of a quest to find one for himself. I've seen a few nice K98s for sale on Gunbroker, but I don't know of any local FFLs to have one shipped to if I purchased it, and I don't have a driver's license for the state I live in currently, so I'm not sure how much of a stumbling block that would be. I've got an itch for an M1 carbine and a regular M1 also (although I hate the habit the M1s have of eating thumbs), but they're just too expensive for me right now.

Sort of curious, where did you pick up all your rifles at?

/endless rambling

I'd say any rifle from the Korean War and older would really constitute an "old" or "vintage" gun.

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've also got a Lee-Enfield :drool: Is that the .303? That's another gun I'd love to have.

yes... any military lee-enfield with the exception of the 2A from India (looks like a No.1 MkIII but with a different magazine) is a .303... the 2A is 7.62x51mm

Quote:

Sort of curious, where did you pick up all your rifles at?

going down the list as the appear in my link
1915 Tula M91 - gunboards trader
1941 VKT M91 - local newspaper ad
1937 Izhevsk 91/30 - inherited
1929 Tula 91/30 - gunbroker
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 - gunbroker
1943 Izhevsk 91/30 PU - gunboards trader
1944 Izhevsk M38 - dunham's
1944 Izhevsk M44 - auction arms
1945 Izhevsk M45 - century international arms (through their auction site)
1943 Izhevsk 91/59 - century international arms
1943 Sako Sk.Y M39 - empire arms
1953 Type53 - omega weapons systems
1944 K31 - dunham's
1943 byf K98k - century international arms
1946 Spanish M1944 - local auction
1918 SSA No.1 MkIII* - gunbroker
1918 Steyr M95 - aim surplus
1943 Quality Hardware M1 Carbine - gunbroker
1968 M59/66 - gunbroker
1915 Tula M1895 - southern ohio gun
1935 Tula M1895 - empire arms
1954 CZ52 - local auction

links
Gunboard's Forums - Powered by vBulletin
The EMPIRE ARMS web-site
AuctionArms.com - Online Gun Auction
GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction
Century International Arms Inc.
About Us
AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms
Omega Weapons Systems

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Norinco SKS is dead accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back