vintage equipment is fun with music
Feb 7, 2006 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
Well my friend is getting married soon (march 4th, 06) and he asked me to be the best man for the wedding. Of course I accepted (although I have no idea what I'm getting myself into), but he also asked me to provide the music for the reception. I won't be the DJ but I asked a friend to do it but with my equipment. My equipment would usually consist of a gemini cd pair, gemini PS1000 mixer, and a samson power amp (this amp is on loan to a friend right now and won't be available to me by march 4th) but since this is a special occassion I'm going to use my "good" equipment for this event. Now the equipment will be;
PC+foobar
emu 0404
foobar spitfire DAC
Sansui 7000 receiver (used as preamp)
McIntosh MC2105 power amp
sonic DJ speakers (simple 2 way 15' sub with a horn)
At first I was going to use the gemini mixer as my preamp...but then I tried the sansui and the difference was night and day. Sansui preamp brought out the low end even more than the mixer and also brings out the impact. The mcintosh amp is generally a warm sounding power amp and I think the mixer must be as well but the sansui is a pretty bright and high impact system. So what does this mean? It means I need to lug another 40lbs of equipment to this receiption plus the 65lb power amp and the speakers and the source. It also means that solid state amplification is just awesome.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 3
Wow. That McIntosh is good stuff.
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Wow. That McIntosh is good stuff.
icon10.gif

Indeed.
It's probably my favorite piece of equipment I own. I just hope it never dies on me which it almost did when I brought it out of it's 10 year hibernation. I fixed it though so now it performs up to spec or at least as close as I can get it to work at spec. Soon I'll be performing a deep serious connection cleaning on both the sansui and the mac. I bought 3 spray bottles of deoxit which I hope is enough for the two pieces. I plan on using 2 on the sansui and one on the mac since the sansui has many more switches/connectors/pots in it. Dragging the quipment to the party will hopefully be worth it in the end.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back