Vintage Electrostatic Headphones with PICS!...
Jan 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but then the question is... How much does one of those Stax boxes go for? I'm almost afraid to ask.
blink.gif

You can have my SRD-4 for free, but you'll need to build a bias supply for it.

A SRD6/7 can be had for under $50, just put the word out and I'm sure someone will respond.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm with Carl (and Spritzer) on this. If that HP-100 box doesn't show up, you could just get another cheap HP-100 on eBay ($35--$50), but why not go for the upgrade: get an SRD-7 and do Spritzer's rewire mod, either to one of the sockets on the SRD-7 itself or to the phones.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #19 of 27
Yeah, I think I might have to run a little want add in the FS forum because I can't find this darn thing anywhere. Plus my father was just telling me that he thought the box was flakey, hence the reason he stopped using them. Heck, for all I know, the cans could be shot.

Then I'd have to rewire the cans... Boy oh boy, it can never be simple, can it.
rolleyes.gif

Is there any way possible to test the drivers via the plug contacts and a multimeter?

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Yeah, I think I might have to run a little want add in the FS forum because I can't find this darn thing anywhere. Plus my father was just telling me that he thought the box was flakey, hence the reason he stopped using them. Heck, for all I know, the cans could be shot.

Then I'd have to rewire the cans... Boy oh boy, it can never be simple, can it.
rolleyes.gif

Is there any way possible to test the drivers via the plug contacts and a multimeter?

If you get a Stax transformer, you can just rewire the transformer instead. It's super easy.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a Stax transformer, you can just rewire the transformer instead. It's super easy.

Which reminds me, what's this bias supply you're talking about with your SRD-4?

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Remember, electrostatics are basically capacitors. You'd need a capacitance meter, although you could check for a shorted element (not likely). No, chances are the 'phones are in good shape unless someone played them at insane levels and arc'd big holes in the diaphragms.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, chances are the 'phones are in good shape unless someone played them at insane levels and arc'd big holes in the diaphragms.

Well I hope my stupid brothers didn't damage them when they were kids. (they are are older than me)
icon10.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Which reminds me, what's this bias supply you're talking about with your SRD-4?

The SRD-4 was a transformer designed for Stax's electret headphones. It's basically an SRD-6 minus the polarising voltage supply. Without a polarising voltage applied to the diaphragm the headphones won't work.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 27
It's rather easy to fix these phones if they develop any faults. High humidity is their worst enemy because the thin copper wires that connect the stators to the cable are untreated and can corrode all the way through. This happened to one of my pairs but it was easy enough to fix with a very thin silver wire.

All you need to mod them to the normal Stax standard is a bit of heat shrink or electrical tape for insulation.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's rather easy to fix these phones if they develop any faults. High humidity is their worst enemy because the thin copper wires that connect the stators to the cable are untreated and can corrode all the way through. This happened to one of my pairs but it was easy enough to fix with a very thin silver wire.

All you need to mod them to the normal Stax standard is a bit of heat shrink or electrical tape for insulation.

Ah, I see.

So what is the heat shrink and/or electrical tape insulating, one of the pins on the plug?

BTW, does anyone on here possibly know the specs of the HP-100's? Just curious.
cool.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #27 of 27
The cable enters on the left side and there are connectors inside the left cup on the cable that goes to the right one. These are insulated with some heat shrink and that has to be cut away since some connections have to be swapped.

Btw. There are no specs in the Magnavox manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back