Vintage Computer Audio
Mar 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
So me and a friend (a girl i knew in school that knew X86 assembly like the back of her hand) having been working together to trick out an old IBM XT all in one (IBM PS/2 Model 25, which is XT based, intel 8086 with monochrome screen), to play stereo sound with near FM quality.

The codec of choice? The only one it could handle, WAV.. NO other codec would work without overloading the poor CPU causing weird effects like the CRT loosing raster (now that was interesting).

TWO soundblaster 8-bits (the original soundblaster) are used. But because the driver only can control one, she wrote code to treat each soundblaster like a single channel DAC which it essentially is, mono, 23KHz-ish.. So each soundcard handles it's own channel..

The result? An intel 8086 8MHz doing 100% load playing stereo WAVE files, onto two soundcards. The latency between the soundcards is actually fairly small, only .022 it seems.. Right channel is always ahead of the left..

Sound clips to come! Quality is like a fuzzy FM radio..

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 3
My first computer that I bought in 1989 was an IBM PS/2. I think I had an 80286 or 80386 processor and a 20 MB hard drive. I paid $1500 for it used. With a hard drive that big I thought I would never fill it up. I was right, I never did fill up that hard drive.
biggrin.gif

I think it is funny that the PS/2 mouse port still exists. I still have a serial to PS/2 adapter in my drawer of computer goodies.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first computer that I bought in 1989 was an IBM PS/2. I think I had an 80286 or 80386 processor and a 20 MB hard drive. I paid $1500 for it used. With a hard drive that big I thought I would never fill it up. I was right, I never did fill up that hard drive.
biggrin.gif

I think it is funny that the PS/2 mouse port still exists. I still have a serial to PS/2 adapter in my drawer of computer goodies.

im using my old ibms model m keyboard on my mac pro
biggrin.gif
PS/2 to USB.. lol

ironic.

mine has a 20mb MFM hard drive.. i have a 3GB external attached to it, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back