Vintage Cannon Ball empire mod?
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Triggerfish

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
I'm working on a bit of a project at the moment and was hoping that someone has tried something like this before.
I ended up being dragged off to a weird antique mall by a friend looking for a wardrobe and discovered 1920ish Cannonball Empire headphones.
I then came across this page describing converting them to usable sound for use in a steampunk style mod.
http://steampunkworkshop.com/g-headphones.shtml

The problem is, I'd like to make a pair of these that sound at least semi decent.  That page describes basically cannibalizing a super cheap pair of earphones and just dropping the wires and drivers.  I figure that somewhere on this site, someone has to have tried sticking random putty, drivers, and whatnot into a pair of these or something like them.

Anyone have any luck making something decent sounding?  Or have any ideas what might work for something like these?

Thanks all

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
You could do what you are supposed to do with them and make a kick-ass crystal radio :) 

I would not bother with trying to make them sound good. 

I like this idea very much. 
The headphones would likely work quite well with a crystal radio AND the crystal radio could be as stermpunkt as the builder wants. As an added bonus, building something that fits the genre and is perfectly functional (functionality does not normally fit the genre) would not require destroying an antique. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back