Vintage Caluculator-fi
Oct 18, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Busicom HL-21. I still use it sometimes.

Cool! Can that thing write code, I mean like real code, ie. Enigma encryption.
icon10.gif

Anyway here's my contribution to the dusty archives. The venerable HP25C.
Not as cool but nonetheless sentimental, it was my 1st calculator.

HP25C.jpg

I was using its bag as my iPod belt-case. Got some chuckles from the older geeks that knew what is was.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed a very valuable icon.
Did you learn how to use it?

Very limitedly - I used to be able to add/subtract/multiply and divide on it, but these days I'd be lucky to do even that.

GAD

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #18 of 27
i can't stand algebraic entry either. i'm still using my hp 48sx calculator that i got in college almost 20 years ago.

on another interesting note, one of my good friend's dad designed the first calculator IC for HP and worked briefly with the Woz, before he left to start Apple.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't stand algebraic entry either. i'm still using my hp 48sx calculator that i got in college almost 20 years ago.

on another interesting note, one of my good friend's dad designed the first calculator IC for HP and worked briefly with the Woz, before he left to start Apple.

I use my 41CX if there's any engineering to be done, which is rare these days. it's more about mind numbing spread sheets, gant charts and the almighty Powerpoint.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Can that thing write code, I mean like real code, ie. Enigma encryption.
icon10.gif

Anyway here's my contribution to the dusty archives. The venerable HP25C.
Not as cool but nonetheless sentimental, it was my 1st calculator.

HP25C.jpg

I was using its bag as my iPod belt-case. Got some chuckles from the older geeks that knew what is was.

After my TI SR56 I had the HP29C. The HP29C was issued right after the HP25C.

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After my TI SR56 I had the HP29C. The HP29C was issued right after the HP25C.

So you're bilingual--RPN and Algebraic. I envy you, I can barely add and subtract algebraically.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 27
a while ago when i was in-between HP's, i had a TI-86 i found at a garage sell, and first thing i did was write a simple RPN input program based off keystrokes, with a 10 line stack
very_evil_smiley.gif
it was kinda rudimentary though, cause i had to make a routine for every type of command, after SIN-COS-TAN, i gave up on furthering it
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm glad this thread has been revived.

That's my HP 41CX. I very much prefer Reverse Polish calculators; they're much easier and faster to use once you learn the method. Keys have a nice tactile feel and it's built like a tank. I've yet to learn how to program on it though. I inherited it from my dad and I'll probably get to give it to my kid someday.

They don't make 'em like they usta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back