Vintage Caluculator-fi
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
Old nerds speak up! (This means you Ingwe!).

How about this gem! I had one of these when I was a kid:

3825_1.JPG

GAD

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old nerds speak up! (This means you Ingwe!).

How about this gem! I had one of these when I was a kid:

3825_1.JPG

GAD

love it!! - hehe, i like the forward thinking, use of a stylus clipped on the side! reminds me of a certain sony ericsson smart phone from a few years ago
smily_headphones1.gif

i think the only way people are gonna beat that post GAD, is to claim the use of an abacus in their infancy
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 27
dont know if it counts, but i used to have an old HP-32S when i was on the math team in high school(Nerd Alert!
rolleyes.gif
) ever since those days i cant stand to use algebraic calculators, i eventually upgraded to to the modern HP-49G, but i still miss my old 32S
frown.gif

32s.jpg

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont know if it counts, but i used to have an old HP-32S when i was on the math team in high school(Nerd Alert!
rolleyes.gif
) ever since those days i cant stand to use algebraic calculators, i eventually upgraded to to the modern HP-49G, but i still miss my old 32S
frown.gif

32s.jpg

After an early comp sci course where I wrote a stack-based calculator and parser, and then had to do the equivalent while accepting algebraic input, I just can't get over how elegant RPN is. It's just the right representation, at least from a computing standpoint...

Not sure how fun it would be on a graphing unit though, I'm not sure Calculus and trig lend themselves to RPN...

The Curta is a really intriguing device from a design perspective, and apparently really practical too! I've never seen one in person though.

Curta_Type_II.jpg

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

32s.jpg

Nice, I have an emulator of the 42S for my palmpilot and my computer it look decent with the proper skin, the default skin is ugly

http://home.planet.nl/~demun000/thomas_projects/free42/

I also have an HP48 but I don't do any math anymore and it's too large for a everyday calculator.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 27
Among my many calculators is a Monroe desk unit with Nixie tubes, and a rather chunky Sharp using the very early blue fluorescent readout with the half-size zero. I've started on slide rules too. My scanner is loaned out until 11/16/07 so no photos - sorry!

Laz

BTW, that Busicom looks awesome, Duggeh!

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 27
I know technically speaking I'm supposed to actually own what I'm showing off, but check out this: a difference engine (i.e. theoretical Victorian Calculator for the unitiated) made entirely out of lego.
FullEngineFrontSmall.jpg

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how fun it would be on a graphing unit though, I'm not sure Calculus and trig lend themselves to RPN...

actually, one of the things i love about my 49G, is since its a RPN graphing calc, it keeps a visible running list of all the data thats entered into the stack. does that make sense? i cant figure out a way to explain it better....

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

32s.jpg

I know exactly what you mean! I use an HP-42S, I don't know what I'll do once it finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

Even on my computers, I have to have a calculator that uses RPN. I HATE algebraic entry!
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Lego!

Here's a pic of one of my dad's slide-rules. It's one of my cherished possessions. He's been gone 25 years this year.
GAD

Indeed a very valuable icon.
Did you learn how to use it?

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know exactly what you mean! I use an HP-42S, I don't know what I'll do once it finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

Even on my computers, I have to have a calculator that uses RPN. I HATE algebraic entry!
tongue.gif

Those are pricy on ebay. Here a mint one still in it's plastic packing.
wink.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-...QQcmdZViewItem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back