Vintage Audio Technica ATH-8 Electret correct connection?
Mar 3, 2022 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fmarco64

New Head-Fier
Hello, I just saved a pair of said ATH-8 electret complete with their adapter/transformer.
Pads and headband destroyed so in need of full repair, the rest is perfect (well, dirty).
I tried to hook them and they seem to work but I found the sound level to be lower than expected, much lower for example with respect to a DT990 600 Ohm hooked into the phones socket of the amp.
On the back of the transformer, I connected the posts marked "amplifier" to the loudspeaker output of the amp, and the posts marked "Loudspeakers" to a pair of 8 Ohm speakers.
Everything works, the front switches do their job but those ATH-8 sound low and volume amp must be cranked up quite a while, so much that before switching back to speakers I need to turn it down.
Should I use one of the line out of the amp instead, to feed the transformer?
Thanks for help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 7
I found this interesting thread on the same topic https://www.head-fi.org/threads/electret-vs-electrostatic.200922/ for which I thank all the contributors.
it looks like mine can be just old, so their magnetic charge is less than it was as new, anyway I'll keep using them as they sound fine - less punch compared to other ones I have, but I am happy to have completed a small restoration, see pics as found and after pads replacement and headband rebuild.

ATH-8_AsFound.jpg

ATH-8_rebuilt.jpg

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 7
sorry to necro this thread... I really enjoy my ecr500 and decided to go for an ath-8 on ebay, do they sound at least somewhat decent?
btw just in case you are interested in history, these cost 34000 yen when they where new, which make them one the the most expensive headphones of their time, and they are back electret, aka thinner diaphragm and more close to electrostatic in terms of technical capabilities rather than "normal" electret.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Well I'm a bit late on this, to be honest I think they are decent however miss the punch of more modern headphones (even on the less expensive side).
To make an example, I like listening to stuff like Gov't Mule feat. John Scofield.
It's a nice piece of gear to run, bulky as you may imagine.
I enjoyed the restore process and did not dare to open the cans to see or touch the drivers.
So if you get them for small money and have the place to sit the adaptor... why not?
cheers

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Well I'm a bit late on this, to be honest I think they are decent however miss the punch of more modern headphones (even on the less expensive side).
To make an example, I like listening to stuff like Gov't Mule feat. John Scofield.
It's a nice piece of gear to run, bulky as you may imagine.
I enjoyed the restore process and did not dare to open the cans to see or touch the drivers.
So if you get them for small money and have the place to sit the adaptor... why not?
cheers
I got them a few weeks ago, they are really good imo, albeit personally I still prefer ECR-500 due to superior soundstage and bass, probably inherent advantage of over ear vs on ear. ATH-8 are more detailed and "faster" though.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 7
I found this interesting thread on the same topic https://www.head-fi.org/threads/electret-vs-electrostatic.200922/ for which I thank all the contributors.
it looks like mine can be just old, so their magnetic charge is less than it was as new, anyway I'll keep using them as they sound fine - less punch compared to other ones I have, but I am happy to have completed a small restoration, see pics as found and after pads replacement and headband rebuild.

ATH-8_AsFound.jpg

ATH-8_rebuilt.jpg
Where did you obtain the ear pads? I've practically given up trying to find replacements for my ATH-7. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back