Vintage amp; left channel not working.. help?
Mar 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ckaz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I recently received a Technics SA-103 int. amplifier. It sounds better than my Cambridge Audio 640A V2, so I'd prefer to keep it, but I'm having an issue that just started recently. Out of nowhere, I was getting fuzz in the sound whenever it had to hit lower frequencies. The fuzz was in equal channels, but particularly bad on the left. The fuzz in the right channel eventually stopped, but it got worse in the left, and soon the left was intermittently cutting out all together.
I decided to get out a can of DeoxIt out. The loudness switch and the volume pot were experiencing issues as well, but as soon as I sprayed some deoxit in there the problem stopped. So, this time I gave the amp the works and lightly sprayed every inch of the amp circuitry. I let it dry and tried again, but the problem persisted.

I know its not a problem with my speakers (Monitor Audio Silver RX1) because the problem disappeares when I connect them to my CA int. amp. They only persist with the Technics.

I've had the top of the amp off for about a month now, so thinking it had been exposed to excess dust I sprayed it with some compressed air but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Most likely dried-up electrolytic capacitors ( given the age of the amp and the symptoms ). It would be a good idea to change all of them ( most electrolytic caps don't last more then 10-20 years ) , it's a pretty big job but well worth-it ( I did it with my Sanyo DCA20 and I could't be happier with the result ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back