Vinnie Rossi LIO - Ultracapacitor-Powered, Modular Hi-Fi System is here!
Dec 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #31 of 118
Hi groovyd,

Thank you!

Hi Fairwell,

I also really like the idea of being able to easily exchange single parts that only reflect the design such as knobs or the front plate.

Yes, and I plan to offer "specialty" faceplates and knobs in the future, so one can really get a custom look (different colors) that they will enjoy - and the customer can easily install them.

Your product design makes it unnecessary to have expensive power filters, power cables and such.

Correct, and the actual AC/DC conversion process happens external to the LIO - via a small power adapter the plugs into the back panel of the LIO.  So there is no 120 / 240Vac even entering the LIO, and no power transformers to introduce noise onto any of the audio circuitry.  

Correct - absolutely no need for power filters, conditioners, cables, dedicated mains, etc.  

the modular system also makes it very practicable to upgrade or modify the system. Furthermore it saves up a lot of space and due to the minimised cost of all those extra casings for each functionality costs can be way lower. 

Yes - the customer can easily add modules (new features, or upgrade modules in the future) very easily.  Early next year, we'll be taking video shoots to show how simple this is.  You don't even need tools!  No joke 
wink.gif

How do you prevent any interferences within the one casing?

- Every module has its own dedicated, low-noise linear voltage regulation stage.  So they all get fed via the clean, isolated Ultracapacitor bank and are also isolated from each other via their own dedicated linear regulators and filtering.  

- Ultracapacitor power grounds, analog grounds, and digital grounds are all isolated.  On the main board that the modules connect to, we essentially implement a star ground right to the chassis.

- And as mentioned above, there are no power transformers inside.

All of this avoids interference problems, and (in the case where you don't use an external source, amps, etc) you don't have interconnect cables.  The best sounding cable is NO cable - and no chance of noise pick up or a rats nest.  

Clean.  Pure.  Simple.  
cool.gif

The whole modular setup seems to be very well-thought-through and I am keen on finding out why other manufacturers see this as vital (sometimes even placing the power supply in a separate unit such as with the DAC I am using currently) compared to your approach. Maybe you can enlighten us here regarding your thought process.

I agree - placing a power supply in a separate unit is important to not allow the 120 or 240V AC line noise and the associated power transformer noise from getting close to the audio circuitry.  In the case of LIO - I do this as well, as mentioned above. 

LIO takes 24Vdc at the power input jack - and that is used to charge the Ultracapacitor banks.  AND (this is the most important part!), the ultracapacitor bank that is feeding the audio circuitry is 100% isolated from the incoming 24Vdc power.  It is just like high-current battery power (think LiFePO4 like our Red Wine Audio components), but BETTER!  Even lower-impedance than battery, no play-time limitations like battery, no need to replace the ultracaps.... it is unlike anything else out there!  

Keep up this innovative spirit and not being afraid to reinvent the wheel. I found the upgrade-system of Red Wine Audio systems already appealing but this finally takes it to the next level.

Thank you - and yes - LIO is a big evolution (game-changer!) for me in that it goes above and beyond what I was doing with battery power, and goes above and beyond in terms of the audio and control circuitry, and give me a proverbial sandbox to play in for a long time in terms of designing new modules and upgrades to continually improve and have fun with.

For my customers, they get to easily add new features when desired.  They get to try any new upgraded modules (with a 30-day money back guarantee, so they can decide if the improvements are worth the cost).  They can easily and quickly try the modules, make comparisons, etc. and not be inconvenienced with things like:

- Shipping back their LIO for upgraded modules
- Shipping back their LIO for added features
- Having to sell off their LIO (and losing lots of money on the used market) because "the next model with the next feature" comes out.
- Having to send in the LIO if a module was damaged or there is a defect (hey, it does happen from time-to-time).  We just ship the replacement module and you are back to listening in a couple of days!
- Getting stuck with a color if your other equipment, or tastes, end up changing.  Some of us like to change-up the look of our gear, too!  Now you can, and very easily.  
- Getting stuck with certain circuit topologies, and not being able to experiment with others*

* For example:

- The first LIO Tubestage we are offering uses the 6922 family of tubes.  We will later be working on a tubestage that is designed around different tube families.  This allows one to try different tubes (they all have a different sonic signature) and see what they prefer.  It is not always about 'better' - it is about 'different' and what sounds better to you, and with your current set of headphones.

- The first LIO dac we are offering uses dual AK4399 DSD/PCM d/a chips (one per channel).  We later will be working on a d/a board that you can easily swap-in that lets you play with offer d/a's and output stage topologies.  Again, they all have a different sonic signature.  

- The first LIO HPA stage has been designed to sound excellent with a wide-range of headphones from 16-ohm to > 600 ohm.  We later will be working on customize HPA modules that are fine-tuned (optimized) to work with certain makes/modules of headphones.

So when your headphones, speakers, or just your tastes in sound and music change, LIO can easily change with you - for more much less money than having to sell your gear on the used market to buy the next component and the next cable.

LIO is designed for longterm ownership.  Overtime, one would describe THEIR customized LIO by the specific modules that they have installed (as different LIOs will deliver different sonic presentations based on the modules / configurations).  And in the longterm, the cost for "new stuff" (new modules / new features) will end up being much less expensive than having to buy new separate components.  Also a lot easier than trying to sell off gear on the used market.

Other recent suggestions I received via emails with customers:

- Custom LIO travel case to hold LIO and Headphones [great idea!]

- Clean, tinted top cover with LIO logo laser engraved [nice!]

- A headphone DSP module (examples given with DSPeaker and Smyth Realizer.  I will have to look into these
because I am not very familiar with them).  However, I have heard the Shaker Logic Audio product and thought it
was intriguing!

- Stillpoints feet [I confirmed that they do make something that can easily be installed by the user.  Just one screw
per foot.  I need to order and test samples.  Some people swear by them].

Too much to do, too little time - but TOO MUCH FUN! 
tongue.gif

Vinnie

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 118
only other question i have regarding shielding is as pertains to purely external emf produced from other electronics and whatnot around the unit.  Is it that the chassis is non-metal?  How does it prevent external sources of interference from coupling into the low voltage intra-module circuits and whatnot for example the typical cell phone jingle that you often hear on even metal cased systems  that occurs when cell towers nearby do their thing.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #33 of 118
Ha!  I was wondering why none of the pictures I'd seen showed an IEC power input.  Because there isn't one!

While the spend-happy, cable-obsessed side of being an audiophile aches to be able to swap expensive power cords, the scientifically literate (not an engineer, just read stuff on the interwebs like so many others) side realizes that the ultracap power supply negates the need for such umbilicals.  In fact, this is likely a superior design for getting electricity to the components, and even a megabuck power cord that costs as much as a well-optioned LIO itself, going into an IEC, would not be as good an implementation as a wallwart into the LIO's power bank.  (I'm sure you, Vinnie R., will be the first to celebrate this fact.)

And while I'm speaking sonically, this is not to mention how much easier it would be to have a thin and light umbilical running up to your listening station versus a massive, heavy, inflexible power cable.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #34 of 118
  only other question i have regarding shielding is as pertains to purely external emf produced from other electronics and whatnot around the unit.  Is it that the chassis is non-metal?  How does it prevent external sources of interference from coupling into the low voltage intra-module circuits and whatnot for example the typical cell phone jingle that you often hear on even metal cased systems  that occurs when cell towers nearby do their thing.

Hi groovyd,

The chassis is aluminum for the bottom plate, top plate, and rear panel.  The side panels and faceplate are CNC machined (and finely brushed) DuPont Corian.  I love the dense/smooth look n' feel of the CNC'd Corian (and their color choices!), and I needed a non-metallic material to allow for good bluetooth range for the upcoming LIO bluetooth control Apps for smart phones and tablets.  I also plan on offering streaming module at some point in 2015, as I have received numerous requests for one.

The layout of the LIO boards has been done in a way that minimized external noise from other electronics, but it is not totally immune to TDMA cell phone noise.  As you point out, even many audio components with full metal enclosures are not immune to this.  This is the buzz noise that your cell phone outputs (in what sometimes seems in sporadic instances).  It is not from nearby cell towers.  I recommend that you don't put your cell phone on top of LIO, or within a meter from it (or if you want to, you can put it in "airplane" mode).  As an aside, the LIO should be more immune to TDMA noise than say, a few audio components connected via non-shielded interconnect cables.  Shorter, clean signal paths like those used inside LIO definitely minimize noise pick up.

Under "normal" listening conditions (i.e., not having a noise transmitter in very close proximity of the LIO), you will not have any noise problems.  This includes not placing power supplies of other components direct on top or below the LIO.  This is all common 'good practice' (and common sense stuff) - so I won't keep rambling about it. 
redface.gif

In fact, this is likely a superior design for getting electricity to the components, and even a megabuck power cord that costs as much as a well-optioned LIO itself, going into an IEC, would not be as good an implementation as a wallwart into the LIO's power bank.  (I'm sure you, Vinnie R., will be the first to celebrate this fact.)

Hi ScuderiaHeadFi,

You are correct and both counts! 
cool.gif

BTW - someone PM'd me about the size of the external power adapter.  It is only 6.5 x 2.5 x 1.5" (165mm x 64mm x 38mm).
One side has an IEC jack (with a power input range of 100 - 240Vac, so it can work anywhere in the world):

Vinnie

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 118
I'd love to see AirPlay compatibility, no wires and iTunes send to showing LIO Airplay as speakers!  Airplay is lossless but does have some delay that would make for example using it as speakers or headphones hooked up to the LIO for a skype call not quite work so well.  Tried this already with a pair of Philips Airplay.  Convenience and sound quality were excellent though and I imagine for just playing straight music it would be a great feature.

Regarding the external emf rejection possibly you could sell an upgrade internal casing (cans) fit to snap onto the individual module pcbs or aligned to screw into their standoffs and into the ground plane. Sort of a 'case hardening' or 'faraday cage' kit to improve rejection for us die-hard nuts :wink:  I would probably spend the extra coin on them. Perhaps each module has a couple grooves milled out in each corner to snap a can into.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #36 of 118
  I'd love to see AirPlay compatibility, no wires and iTunes send to showing LIO Airplay as speakers!  Airplay is lossless but does have some delay that would make for example using it as speakers or headphones hooked up to the LIO for a skype call not quite work so well.  Tried this already with a pair of Philips Airplay.  Convenience and sound quality were excellent though and I imagine for just playing straight music it would be a great feature.

Regarding the external emf rejection possibly you could sell an upgrade internal casing (cans) fit to snap onto the individual module pcbs or aligned to screw into their standoffs and into the ground plane. Sort of a 'case hardening' or 'faraday cage' kit to improve rejection for us die-hard nuts :wink:  I would probably spend the extra coin on them. Perhaps each module has a couple grooves milled out in each corner to snap a can into.

Hi groovyd,

The AirPlay compatibility (or perhaps AptX Bluetooth 4.0) is something that I'll be looking into in 2015.  The one thing that I like about Bluetooth is that one does not need WiFi.  You could stream from your smartphone / tablet directly.  I know early bluetooth was not the best sounding, but Bluetooth 4.0 / AptX is quite good (I believe it can handle 24 / 96k, lossless).  

As for external EMF rejection, I'll look into this some more, but I'm not sure there is really much to address.  In the testing we have done, we are not picking up on any noise.  I still need to put a transmitting cell phone right on top or next to LIO to see if we get any TDMA noise.  

UPDATE:

Parts for LIO are coming in, almost daily!  There are some items that won't be here until later this month, but then we'll have EVERYTHING to get building on all those pre-orders!
Thanks again for all your patience - we're very close now!

Vinnie

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #37 of 118
All,

Just a quick update:

LIO ENCLOSURES - should finally arrive by end of this week!  
smiley_thumb.gif

LIO PCBs - most of them will be here by next week, and then we'll be soldering away!  A few will 
follow the week after and we'll finish them, and then we'll be BUILDING AWAY!  
sm_hyper.gif

- January is going to be a busy month!  I believe we'll be able to ship out many of the pre-orders then, and hopefully
some review units as well!

- End of January is scheduled for a big photo and video shoot, so after that the LIO website will be updated as well.  

- Our next audio show is going to be AXPONA (Chicago - April 24 - 26).  This will be my first AXPONA and I'm looking forward to it!
Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and music-filled New Year!  
smiley_beertoast.gif

Vinnie

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #38 of 118
All,

Happy New Year!

I've been very busy - NOW THAT (many) LIO PARTS ARE IN!!!!  
smiley_thumb.gif

sm_hyper.gif

bounce.gif

sm_dance.gif

- LIO ENCLOSURES are IN
- MOST of the blank PCBs for the modules (which we are soldering parts do around the clock!) are IN
- LIO Packaging is all here

So... just waiting on a few more PCBs that will be coming in in the next 1 - 2 weeks, but in the meantime, we are building
away on the LIO Pre-Orders and expect to be able to ship most of them this month (definitely to those who ordered
in October and November, and hopefully a handful of the orders received in December).

If we were already in production last month like I hoped for, I would have been at CES.  But since there is just too much to do now, we are staying back to build pre-orders and review units.

I was also informed that the new issue of The Absolute Sound lists LIO as "Top 10 Most Significant Products at RMAF 2014."  

More updates soon...

Vinnie

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #41 of 118
All,

UPDATE

I anticipate shipping the first handful of pre-order units this week, followed by more next week.  
cool.gif

I am confident that *most* of the pre-orders will be shipped out by the end of this month.

I want to thank you all for your patience and understanding.  I really was hoping that you would of had them by now, 
but there have been a few delays as well as some lost days from being hit with winter storms (if you live in New England, 
you know what I'm talking about.  This year is heading towards being one of worst ones for snow fall
eek.gif
).

The good news is that we are building away around the clock now and will be shipping soon.  And once we clear through the 
pre-orders, we will be working on some of your great ideas for future modules.   

Thank you!

Vinnie

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 118
All,

As promised, here are some of the pics that I received today from the recent LIO Photoshoot:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=16073

(this is my gallery on audiocircle, where you can open individual pics and view them
in fairly high resolution if you select "xlarge" or "huge").

Here are a few of them, and I'll be posting more soon enough:

"LIO with Black Front, Black Knobs, Silver Top."

"LIO with Silver Front, Silver Knobs, Silver Top."

"LIO with Black Front, Silver Knobs."

"LIO with Silver Front, Black Knobs."

"Rear panel view of a fully-loaded LIO DELUXE."

"Naked LIO with NO modules populated... yet."

"A fully-loaded LIO DELUXE"

"Top View of all black LIO.  Logo engraved into bushed aluminum top panel."

"External Power Adapter (100 - 240Vac, 50/60Hz, IEC jack)."

"LIO's anodized aluminum remote handset."

"LIO MOSFET AMP module

All of these pics and more will soon be added to the Vinnie Rossi LIO website.  

Coming next (in just a few days) is a new LIO video shoot, were you'll see LIO's front panel in action and a brief, animated diagram of how LIO's PURE-DC-4EVR ultracapacitor power supply works (using a water flow analogy).  
wink.gif

As for a production update - WE ARE SHIPPING the first handful of LIOs TODAY, and another handful by the end of next week.  From there, every week we'll be building / shipping more LIO's from the Pre-Order queue, as well as a few review units to get things started!  
cool.gif

To all our Pre-Order customers who have been patiently waiting - THANK YOU. 
beerchug.gif
  I am confident that LIO is going to exceed your expectations in terms of sonics, build quality, high value - and will be a component / system that you will enjoy for many years (and I have a lot of things planned to keep it FUN.  I could not  be more proud and excited to finally begin shipping this "magic box" to you!  

A "very special thanks" goes to John Chapman of Bent Audio for the immense amount of effort he put into the LIO with me.  All of this would not have been possible without him!          

Back to building LIO's!

Vinnie

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 118
Talking about a dream product!!!! I will start saving some money hopefully I can buy one within the next couple years LOL 

Great job.  I am sure it will sound amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back