View on Shure E5.
May 20, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 23
evolushun,
how would you compare the er4p's to the e5's?? i've been looking fer a comparo review fer a while (even started a thread) would b nice ta get ur comments on how each of these phones perform
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog

2. Ergonomic

- Horrifying for me. I was able to endure 1-hour of discomfort of putting this on yesterday but today I managed to torture myself for two hours. It felt like hanging inflexible steel wire (or rod) on my ears, which was rather hard and stiff that it wouldn’t rest easy but will stick out. You will need custom ear mold for this unless you are a stoned out rocker who’s completely numb. As for me, I felt like having swollen earlobe from horrifying memory-fit cable so I am thinking about cutting that off to make the earpiece lighter. Compared to E5, the E1 was plug-in-play earphone, nice!..But then again, this is subjective, which may entitled you to a different view.

dunno if u know about the westone version of these phones, but they use the same drivers, but have different wires that do not have the memory fit cable (tho because of the different wire and different crossover circuitry they do not have exactly the same audio specs). it could be ur answer.

here's a link : westone um2 and they are a little cheaper too...

May 20, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 23
this is what i wrote on other posts concerning shure e5:

must say that having both of these phones is a joy, and my previous posts about the ety, in that they are amazing, just excellent are still ringing true, but if there was one thing wrong with the ety's, it is the microphonic noise. Hence why i shelled out a lot of money for the Shure E5, i know that a lot of people don't like these/company, but that said, each to their own. I must say that i am highly impressed by these phones. I am not a expert in sound nor expert in headphones, but to me the sound in the Shure E5 is spot on, the bass travels all around your head, you can hear with precision and the sound is less clinical than that of the ety's. As with the ety's i used the triple-flanged tips and they go deep, maybe not ear-drum deep as the ety, but its way sufficient for the sound reproduction. Plus the dual drivers in the phones pick up the instruments with clarity in the phones. But at the end of the day its up to the listener to choose, and i came to this place to find out about the ety's and bought a pair from all you views, and with a hate against Shure, i was curious as to why people didn't like them, maybe its the price, and true they are wallet busting, but my curiosity told me otherwise

yeah the E5 do isolate the sound just as good as the ety's. The reason why i think there is microphonic noise is how the phones were constructed and the fact that they go deep inside the ear-canal. Although when you use the triple flanged-tips with the E5, they don't go deep as the ety, but they go far enough, and with the dual drivers in the E5, i think that compansates against going in further than the ety's (if you know what i mean). I personally couldn't notice difference in sound, i used my md sony md portable mze 900, also used them with my sound blaster audigy 2 platinum sound card, and did'nt actually notice any difference in sound from both phones

Although having both phones, ety and shure, i prefer the shure E5 due to the fact that there is no microphonic noise and also the over the ear design of the phones

May 21, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 23
i did test the e5 at CES. and while it's obviously a very bad listening environment, i do not believe it is as bad as this thread makes it out to be. it is just as "comfortable" as the etymotic 4's. same thing practically. so, i'm not sure what the beef was.... sound wise, it sounded great to me. didn't get much time to them though....

read laupi's comments at the end of this thread:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...c&pagenumber=2

so, there's at least one guy that totally disagrees with you.

i didn't get to hear the e1 though. so i dunno.....

May 21, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #21 of 23
madDog,

i place the cable over my ears and over my back, it gives me freedom of movement and i am completely comfortable with it. At the end of the day it is preference really to what phones people like or not, thats what is so good about this site, people have their own view on ear/headphones.

May 21, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
i did test the e5 at CES.

Orpheus: Which day were you at CES? I was there throughout the show giving demonstrations.

May 21, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #23 of 23
hi.

you know, i don't remember... it was probably a friday or saturday. i was probably wearing a blue dress shirt and khakis. i'm 5'11" @ 230lbs (not all fat mind you.... heh he) and Chinese with very short hair.

but anyway... i just remember the e5 was pretty darn good. it's too bad it's so expensive.... otherwise it would be a lot more competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back