Videoplayer with ASIO support?
Jan 10, 2008 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been using VLC for a long time, but after getting an external DAC that connects to my PC with a coaxial, I no longer have sound. The problem is that this otherwise nice player, no longer supports ASIO.

Do I really have to install Winamp or other crappy videoplayer to get sound with videofiles?

Any other with the same issue?

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, maybe video doesnt apply on this forum, but I think it is worth mentioning.

If someone knows something that I dont know, please enlighten me =)

SOLVED - Going back to Media Player Classic! Never stops to impress me.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm somewhat confused about your question and the true nature of the problem.

What worked for you prior to obtaining your new external DAC? Were you running an internal sound card successfully with VLC, and are now using the coax output of that card to drive the external DAC?

"The problem is that this otherwise nice player, no longer supports ASIO" implies that VLC previously did support ASIO.....so I am confused about what the actual problem might be.

Maybe we can find some assistance if you can further explain your problem!

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm somewhat confused about your question and the true nature of the problem.

What worked for you prior to obtaining your new external DAC? Were you running an internal sound card successfully with VLC, and are now using the coax output of that card to drive the external DAC?

Yes, I was going analog rca out from the Echo Mia soundcard and directly into the amp before. Now I use spdif out from Mia to the DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The problem is that this otherwise nice player, no longer supports ASIO" implies that VLC previously did support ASIO.....so I am confused about what the actual problem might be.

I read that it have previously support for ASIO, but it was removed for some reason.
But anyway, I found out that VLC was trying to send the audio signal through the other spdif output I have on another soundcard in the pc. Disabled the other card and now it works =)

All well...I'm happy....nevermind this thread...delete it...or whatever...
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 6
No problem......IMHO, threads like this should be kept, so folks can find solutions to similar problems! No such thing as a "stupid question" when it comes to configuring freeware apps, because often there's nothing written that explains all the options adequately.

I took a look at the VLC page, and found that the documentation about what options can be changed under the "Settings" menu was very lacking--luckily, it seems you have found that you can direct the audio output to a specified device. I think there are video players out there that don't allow that selection--they output to the default Windows audio device, and that's that.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, I could direct the audio output to the Mia card with Media Player Classic, but could not find any option for doing that with VLC.
But since I don't really have any use for the other soundcard in the PC, I disabled it in Device Manager , and then VLC defaults to the Mia output. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back