[video] Yellow River Concerto by cheng-zong yin in 70s
Nov 3, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for the heads up!
biggrin.gif
I have the CD from 1999 (I think) with the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra... much better quality, but I think that is carries less emotion than the ones above.
frown.gif

Cheers.

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 7
zong.jpg

Yin Cheng-Zong blazed through the piano part with utter abandon and virtuosity ... one rarely hears the piano played so lovingly, expressively and with such a sensitivity to the sheer physical beauty of its sound.’(New York Times)

Yin Cheng-Zong was a child prodigy in China and a prizewinner of major competitions including the 1962 International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition, second only to Vladimir Ashkenazy. His prestigious career over four decades has seen him perform in all the great concert halls of the world including appearances with the Vienna Philharmonic, St Petersburg and Philadelphia Orchestras.

In 1983, after his sensational debut in New York’s Carnegie Hall, the New York Times called him ‘China’s best pianist’. His is an inspirational story of an artist determined to survive the rigours of China’s Cultural Revolution (1966-76), risking life at times by playing the piano in defiance of the authorities. He later achieved fame throughout China and the West as the pianist/composer of the Yellow River Concerto with a record 3 million copies sold.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 7
What an amazing version of the Yellow River Concerto. His performance thoughout has been awe inspiring, and I now want to get a copy of the score and try playing the second act myself. Pity I have not been able to find a copy to buy anywhere online.

I really agree with you that LangLang's version is not as good. Yin has a certain respect for the piece that Lang Lang's version is lacking. I was particularly impressed with Yin's version of the emotional second act. Is this version available on CD/DVD?

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't gotten a chance to see the you-tube vid, it is just stuck on loading up.

The disk I have is 22 July 1992 in Beijing Concert Hall Stereophile Prod Company
Conductor - Mak Ka Lok, Piano -Xiang-Dong Kong.
It is together with Butterfly Lovers on a gold disk(not that gold will sound better...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back