Video player with Native DivX(little encoding)
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Baba booey

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read the rounds online and I want a player with native DivX. I also like recording as long as it's not too hard I'm using this player for vids so sq isn't too much of an issue, within reason, of course. I don't plan to spend too much(prefer under 150$) because this is NOT my main player, which is the D2. And I do NOT like having to encode EVERYTHING! I've had the Zen Vision M and Vision:W but they lacked getting loud enough, the zvw is a tank, and that's all I can think of now. I've been looking at the AV500, AV420, 404, 504, 604/604 wifi. and some other things. What should I go for??

I might also be interested to trade some things with people on here.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 12
You should go for the Archos, it is an excellent player. I have a 404, but if I were you I would buy the newer models, with touchscreen, Wifi and all that.

I have thrown almost everything at the 404 and it plays about 95% of the vids I put on without encoding.

Otherwise I cannot think of any other players that natively support divx/xvid (besides the Cowon PMP's).

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 12
The Cowon A2 is pretty cheap in terms of a PMP but not $150 cheap... but it does handle 99% of the DivX files I throw at it, plus it has excellent SQ to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 12
Creative Zen supports DivX 4/5 (and Xvid). Works with other DivX versions too. I got mine specifically to get the 2.5" screen in a little package to watch movies (much better than the 2" screens IMO). Takes SD cards too. SQ is great. I just watched 4 movies on Spring Break flights. The only catch is video has to be 320x240 or smaller. It will scale up but not down.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 12
If you don't mind a bit of heft then then I can recommend the Archos 604 or 604 wifi. It takes pretty much anything I throw at it without re-encoding (with the Cinema plug-in). The 604 has a slightly better screen than the 604wifi touch screen - up to you which you think is more important. I have the wifi version and the screen is still pretty good to my eyes. Irrelevant if you are going to be plugging this in to your TV - as you say its mainly for home. Not sure if you can get one s/hand for $150 - but if you want to record from tv etc. do factor in the extra cost of a recording dock.
good luck!

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 12
I always liked the Cowon D2 as it acted as a music player and video recorder/player. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back