Video loading process for new Ipods?
Oct 15, 2005 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lal316l

100+ Head-Fier
Yea, so I got to fiddling around with videos today with iTunes and Quicktime. If I'm ever to use the new Ipod's video function, it has to be an easy and seamless process. What about I'm about write is my experience with the loading video process.

One of my favorite online series is Red vs. Blue. First I downloaded the latest episode in LoRes Quicktime Format, which is a .mov at around 30 mb. I then opened up my Quicktime Pro 7.*Note* you need Quicktime Pro 7 to convert movie files into a file compatible with the new iPod (.m4v or .mp4) and Quicktime Pro is not free($30). So I go to the export function->Export Movie to Ipod->Process starts. The progress dialog goes to around 8% and then just stops, 10 minutes later it reaches 10%. So I'm sitting wondering "what's going on?" Are you telling it that it's going to take an hour or more to convert a 30mb file to be iPod compatible? This is ridiculous so i canceled the process 20 minutes in.

Next I continue on to iTunes, I still have my original .mov file. I import the file into my iTunes, aha! it goes into my Videos section!! I was happy for about 2 seconds until I found there is absolutely no way to clear this file entry from your iTunes library. So I deleted the file from my harddrive, and I go back into the Itunes, the entry for the movie file is still there only now it gives me a "Cannot find File" type of popup when I highlight it. I'd assume Apple didn't program in the "Clear" function for the Videos because of the DRM on the downloadable content (Music Videos, TV Shows) and because they didn't want people deleting the files with no way of recovering it.

In conclusion, I'm very frustrated with the whole process. Apple should really do something about this. I'd imagine there will be hell to pay next week when people realize how hard it is to get personal videos into iTunes.

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Are you using Windows? QT for Windows is a horrendously unstable and useless program, and the new version 7 made it even worse if that were even possible. It's almost as bad on a Mac, and divx doesn't work in version 7 (yet) either. I think there will be other better all-in-one solutions soon that'll make the process "just work" (Apple fans' slogan against Windows).

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 17
Okay, so the delete key thing helped, thanks alot but it doesn't change the fact that you can only use Quicktime (a 1st party program I might add!!) to make movie files Ipod compatible, which doesn't work or work well at the moment. Yes, I'm using Windows but I'd assume that a majority of people who do buy iPods are Windows users as well. Those who do pickup a new iPod next week, will find it very hard to use the video feature they intended to use it for. It might work for things inside Itunes already, but for personal movies, not as much.

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 17
aren't there tons of windoze apps that convert movie files into various formats? on the mac, i use handbrake to convert video_ts files into mpeg4 or .h264 files which can then be put on the new ipod.

i agree with you, however, about QT's poor export function. even on my dual 2.0 PM, it hung around 20% after a couple of hours and then i just quit...

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 17
Yeah there are several programs that will work to make the vidoes compatible but i honestly cant see the average consumer doing stuff like that.
I expect to see a huge increase in videos offerred in itunes.

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 17
ditto on handbrake.. works very well

search around for some apps.. it's just like anything else, there are always alternatives.

btw, you didn't actually pay for the qt pro upgrade did you? big waste of money... i won't say why, because it's frowned upon here, but i think you can catch my drift..

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm sure in the coming weeks there will be some automated software released that will batch-encode multiple videos (and multiple formats) into ipod-compatible files... I'd expect someone to write it....

would theoretically appear on videohelp.com

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
ditto on handbrake.. works very well

search around for some apps.. it's just like anything else, there are always alternatives.

btw, you didn't actually pay for the qt pro upgrade did you? big waste of money... i won't say why, because it's frowned upon here, but i think you can catch my drift..

*cough* not really *cough*
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 17
So I heard the video ipod can not fast forward and rewind during video play. Is it related to the encoding problems or is it because video iPod just does not support such feature.

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
aren't there tons of windoze apps that convert movie files into various formats? on the mac, i use handbrake to convert video_ts files into mpeg4 or .h264 files which can then be put on the new ipod.

i agree with you, however, about QT's poor export function. even on my dual 2.0 PM, it hung around 20% after a couple of hours and then i just quit...

Does anyone know of a windows program that will save a quicktime movie?

I've tried to save a number of quicktime movies (videos for class) onto my harddrive, and it basically does that. Goes to about 10% and then stops. It's made it a big pain in the ass because I have to be connected to the internet to watch them. I don't care about converting it to play on an ipod, i just want it to save on my harddrive.

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 17
unless they do something weird, you can probably fetch the .mov file from your cache or temporary internet files folder. I don't know how this works in firefox, but let the video finish downloading into your browser in explorer, go to internet options->settings->view files and you should be able to find a .mov file there.

Oct 16, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 17
If you want really simple and fast use something like IMToo Video Encoder, it supports a lot of codecs though quality won't be as good as some of the other sharewares out there.

There's a lot of stuff out there if you search, but I don't want to list it in the public forum since some are of "questionable" legal ancestry (dvd backup, copying, converting, etc.). PM me if you're interested in finding these types of sites as I know of a few...unless you're the fuzz, then I have no idea what you're talking about...
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Does anyone know of a windows program that will save a quicktime movie?

I've tried to save a number of quicktime movies (videos for class) onto my harddrive, and it basically does that. Goes to about 10% and then stops. It's made it a big pain in the ass because I have to be connected to the internet to watch them. I don't care about converting it to play on an ipod, i just want it to save on my harddrive.

Try Quicktime Alternative.

Far more stable than Quicktime 7, but it has trouble saving some HiDef stuff.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back