Video Game Music
Feb 7, 2005 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

iamsmrt

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody have any video game music soundtracks or songs they love? Personally, I like the ol' Chrono Trigger soundtrack... my sister's even got the 3-CD set from Japan! Final Fantasy soundtracks are great too. Oh in case anybody is interested, there's a band called Advantage and all they do is rock covers of cool old NES games. I had to start this thread cuz I kept reading "music game" in the forums and kept thinking they were talking about video game music.
600smile.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 33
I don't like FFX-2 very much but I find its OST to be one of the better ones that I can stomach every once in a while, crappy midi not withstanding.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 33
Not with the PS2 instrument samples
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 33
I unequivocally know more about video game music than anyone here.

...anyone want to try me?
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I first got into it about fifteen years ago now, and have owned a few hundred vgm CDs in my time. Kinda got out of the scene a bit ago, but still listen to some of the better stuff out there. My favorite recent composers are Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series, recent Contra games), Sota Fujimori (Gungage, recent Contra games), Yo(sheet)aka Hirota (Shadow Hearts I&II), Masashi Hamauzu (recent SaGa games, FFX), Junya Nakano (Another Mind, FFX), Michiro Yamane (CV: SotN *only*, most of her other stuff is tripe), Tsuneo Imahori (anime composer who wrote the OST for Gungrave), and Amon Tobin (Splinter Cell 3).

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 33
Yeah, i own about 50-60 soundtracks. Some are rare, like Y's III: Wanderers from Y's PC Engine soundtrack (well, it's the game with the music on it as well). I also own various FF, Dracula and other Squaresoft soundtracks and a few Y's soundtracks and remixes, good stuff indeed.

Feb 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 33
Anything Jeremy Soule touches is gold...
icon10.gif

Soundtracks for: Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights and one other, perhaps... or more. He has done a lot of games. =P

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Chrono Trigger has some awesome music, download the SNES music
tongue.gif

A few years back i was on a download rampage and was grabbing up all kinds of digital music, .it, .xm's and other formats. I have them stored somewhere on a cdr still. Some really top notch tunes. I wonder if that stuff is still made? Midi can be good too, especially off of this one midi player i grabbed up that would make them sound a hell of a lot better, the name escapes me at the moment.

Feb 7, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Yeah, i own about 50-60 soundtracks. Some are rare, like Y's III: Wanderers from Y's PC Engine soundtrack (well, it's the game with the music on it as well). I also own various FF, Dracula and other Squaresoft soundtracks and a few Y's soundtracks and remixes, good stuff indeed.

That Ys III PC Engine soundtrack is ridiculously good. Too bad some of the tracks are so damn bright.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Anything Jeremy Soule touches is gold...

Soundtracks for: Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights and one other, perhaps... or more. He has done a lot of games. =P

I remember his first VGM soundtrack -- Secret of Evermore, for the SNES. Everyone hated that OST for years, but now it's become a collectors item.

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
That Ys III PC Engine soundtrack is ridiculously good. Too bad some of the tracks are so damn bright.
blink.gif

Indeed. It's still hella good. Symphony of the Night is spectacular and i always had a fondness for remixes, namely "Celtic Moon" and "Dear Friends." Castlevania 4 (for the snes) also has a dynamite soundtrack, which i own the Konami original. Too bad i never saw a Super Ghouls N Ghosts sdtk, i really dig the tunes in that game...or Shadowrun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back