Video editor on the field in need of crisp closed headphones for difficult situations
Nov 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Speedy

New Head-Fier
Hello to all of you, I haven't been active on this forum for a while, but I know there are some good ears and brains around here and I'm in need of your suggestions. I'm a video editor, and lately I'm experimenting with sounds in my videos and would like to approach some films from next year. Because sometimes my career involves traveling and being in noisy environments, I need a pair of good if not great quality headphones that could provide the noise cancellation from the surroundings and at the same time that wouldn't require me to listen at max volume in order to understand what's happening in my edits. To give some details, I also work in motorsport and it happens that sometimes I have to edit a video on the spot, while cars are racing in the nearby area. Not great noise, but when you have cars that go only at high revs it's difficult to keep focus. Ideally would be a pair that doesn't make my head feel the pressure from the headphones, and not be able to wear them for more than three hours. I have some options in mind after I've did some research and asked some friends. My options for now would be Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Sennheiser MOMENTUM. The first ones are the cheapest but I'm not that convinced that they would have a really good noise-cancellation, they're more for studio after all. The second would be my choice for now and the last, well, it's just a bit better that the 2nd but has a higher price.

I'll appreciate any help from you people.

Great thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

So a couple of things. First, colored headphones (bassy ones for example) will influence your video edits if you're also editing sound. Much like production in music, if you mix and edit on something very bassy, the result on someone else's end will be... very different. It's best to edit and produce on something fairly neutral. Just something to consider. Second, none of these headphones with good audio quality are actually going to provide enough noise isolation (not cancellation, that's active and requires batteries and involves a different process) to chop a few dB out of some revving engines. There are very isolating headphones that can drop 18~25 dB from ambient environment, which makes them very isolating in noisy places. But they generally don't also have high quality output because of what it takes to get that level of isolation. The most isolating (passive) headphones that are inexpensive and maintain high quality output are actually earphones or IEMs.

That said, for cheap, I would look at a pair of Brainwavz HM5's or NVX XPT100's (same exact headphone, different OEM). Great passive isolation, good neutral signature for this sort of application.

Very best,

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Speedy,  Etymotic ER-4 can be a good choice here. Plenty of isolation, neutral sound signature, but you better try it before buying and see for yourself if it will work for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back