Video/audio feeds into TV ... shocking experience
Jan 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SinnerG

100+ Head-Fier
This is weird. I have an older 74cm SONY TV set. It has several video/audio inputs. I have an LG divx player hooked up to one of the audio/composite feeds and occassionally attempt to feed my iPod video into another, either on the front or or the back. I had a S-video input from the divx player into the TV as well, but it wound up being a bit too "pink". It literally would shift to a red tint after playing for some time.

All is very straightforward, but something is wonky kinda wrong.

All the inputs (composite, component or s-video) feel "live." It jolts my hand if I touch them. I can't touch the back of the ipod casing (alumin(i)um cover) when I have it feed the TV via a dock to the s-video input.

Today I pulled out the ipod and hooked it up via RCA cables to the TV and I kept feeling shocks through my fingers and some serious noise. Seriously, I needed this audio feed as I had 3 scantily clad ladies parading around my pool demanding a soundtrack to their day's events.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, iPod to divx player (saw it as a drive), then to TV, TV to stereo amp.

Does anyone else find their RCA connections to any television set kind of "live"? Or am a dealing with a TV set here that's exhibiting grounding faults? I had the ipod playing video to the TV inputs and I literally could not touch the ipod casing without shocking myself.

Why would the input sockets feel live on TV set?

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 5
You should really have that checked, your inputs should not shock you at all. Why they are shocking you i dont know, but it is not good.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, something is seriously wrong. Can't really afford to replace a TV right now, but I'll see what the repair centre can offer. Something is either crossed inside or something is shorting out.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Yes, 3-prong grounded plugs. Wonder if I should check the grounding point at the socket to see if all is in order? I suppose a quick check of that would be to run a power lead from another socket to see whether the problem persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back